test for int

how can you test to make sure an integer was entered rather than say a character?

thanks!

Comments

• : how can you test to make sure an integer was entered rather than say a character?
    :
    : thanks!
    :
    check each character entered with the isdigit() macro.

• thanks for replying... so would i read in the entry as a string and then go one by one using isdigit()? the background is that if the user enters an 'a' rather than an integer, i want to make the value of the integer 0...

thanks

: : how can you test to make sure an integer was entered rather than say a character?
    : :
    : : thanks!
    : :
    : check each character entered with the isdigit() macro.
    :
    :
    :

• : thanks for replying... so would i read in the entry as a string and then go one by one using isdigit()? the background is that if the user enters an 'a' rather than an integer, i want to make the value of the integer 0...
    :
    : thanks

Yes, I would enter it as a string as you mentioned, but if something other than a digit is entered you should display an error message and make him enter the whold thing again. In any event you should not just argibrarily make the non-digit character a zero because that could be wrong too.