Properties

Im using Me.GetType.GetProperty("PropName").SetValue(Me, Value, Nothing) to set the value of the property PropName, but, if the type of VALUE is not the same one that that of PropName the method fails, although the value be convertibe.
That is to say, if VALUE is "4" (String) and the type of YY is Long, the method fails.
It is possible to do a casting in this situation?
Thanks anticipated.

Comments

• Hi,
    Try using an integer with the Propname. the other value has to be convertible too, I guess.

HTH
    Dhruv(Battleguard)

: Im using Me.GetType.GetProperty("PropName").SetValue(Me, Value, Nothing) to set the value of the property PropName, but, if the type of VALUE is not the same one that that of PropName the method fails, although the value be convertibe.
    : That is to say, if VALUE is "4" (String) and the type of YY is Long, the method fails.
    : It is possible to do a casting in this situation?
    : Thanks anticipated.
    :

• Hi,

I create code for a base class:
    Public MustInherit Class BaseClass

Default Public Property Prop(ByVal PropName As String) As Object
    Get
    Return Me.GetType.GetProperty(PropName).GetValue(Me, Nothing)
    End Get
    Set(ByVal Value As Object)
    Me.GetType.GetProperty(PropName).SetValue(Me, Value, Nothing)
    End Set
    End Property
    End Class

Next a Derived Class

Public Class DerivedClass
    Inherits BaseClass

Private _Value As Long
    Private _Text As String
    Public Property Value() As Long
    Get
    Return _Value
    End Get
    Set(ByVal Value As Long)
    _Value = Value
    End Set
    End Property
    Public Property Text() As String
    Get
    Return _Text
    End Get
    Set(ByVal Value As String)
    _Text = Value
    End Set
    End Property
    End Class

and when I do:

Dim x As New DerivedClass()

x("Value") = "2"

The Program crashes, I can't put the complet error code because I've installed the spanish version of VBNet and my English is not as good as to translate it.
    Thank you for reply.

: Hi,
    : Try using an integer with the Propname. the other value has to be convertible too, I guess.
    :
    : HTH
    : Dhruv(Battleguard)
    :
    : : Im using Me.GetType.GetProperty("PropName").SetValue(Me, Value, Nothing) to set the value of the property PropName, but, if the type of VALUE is not the same one that that of PropName the method fails, although the value be convertibe.
    : : That is to say, if VALUE is "4" (String) and the type of YY is Long, the method fails.
    : : It is possible to do a casting in this situation?
    : : Thanks anticipated.
    : :
    :
    :