Utterly stupid error in VS.NET "Illegal characters in path."

I have an OpenFileDialog control on my main form. I was setting the default filename in the properties window and included an * by mistake, and now the property value field contains "Illegal characters in path" and I can't change it. I also can't delete the control. Whichever brilliant MS programmer came up with that idea should be shot. How can I fix or get rid of this ruined control?

Also, the Filter property on the control doesn't seem to be working. It contains:

"DVD Database Files (*.dvd)|*.dvd"

When the open dialog appears, DVD Database Files (*.dvd) is shown in the filter combo box at the bottom, but there are no files visible in the directory. I have several files with this extension in there, so something is wrong here. Same thing applies to my SaveFileDialog. Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this?

Comments

• Hi,

To get rid of the error, switch to code view and expose the Windows Generated Code. Remove these two lines.

Friend WithEvents OpenFileDialog1 As System.Windows.Forms.OpenFileDialog
    Me.OpenFileDialog1 = New System.Windows.Forms.OpenFileDialog()
    'or whatever you named the OpenFileDialog

When you're entering the filter, are you including the double quotes? If you enter the filter as...

DVD Database Files (*.dvd)|*.dvd

it *should* work.

Hope that helps,

Chris

• Thanks, I got the control fixed. Also, I did have the quotes around the filter string, which apparently was the problem. That also works now.