Restart computer?

[b][red]This message was edited by saint_dev at 2003-3-10 20:48:54[/red][/b][hr]
[Edit]
Ok I've been looking for the answer to that for weeks, but right after I posted I figured it out. My question now is does anyone know a way to restart a computer using VB.Net on both 9x and XP/2000?
[/Edit]

Hi I'm trying to delete a file on restart using the MoveFileEx API in VB.Net. If I pass a name as the second argument it works fine and renames the file on reboot like it should. If I try to pass it a Null (using Chr(0)) for the second file name it returns that it failed, and the registry key is not written. Using GetLastError I get error number 3 "Path not found". Could someone please help me figure out what is up with this?

Comments

• : [b][red]This message was edited by saint_dev at 2003-3-10 20:48:54[/red][/b][hr]

System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("C:WindowsSystem32shutdown.exe")
    (for shutdown the pc)
    for restart pc, i don't know which exe file is...you can find inside the directory, it might be relog or reset or something.

: [Edit]
    : Ok I've been looking for the answer to that for weeks, but right after I posted I figured it out. My question now is does anyone know a way to restart a computer using VB.Net on both 9x and XP/2000?
    : [/Edit]
    :
    : Hi I'm trying to delete a file on restart using the MoveFileEx API in VB.Net. If I pass a name as the second argument it works fine and renames the file on reboot like it should. If I try to pass it a Null (using Chr(0)) for the second file name it returns that it failed, and the registry key is not written. Using GetLastError I get error number 3 "Path not found". Could someone please help me figure out what is up with this?
    :
    :
    :

• Thanks, but I was looking for a way to restart using the API. And shutdown.exe (2000/XP Only) will shutdown/restart/log off pc. You just need to specify argument -r to restart. I still would like to do it with API though.

: System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("C:WindowsSystem32shutdown.exe")
    : (for shutdown the pc)
    : for restart pc, i don't know which exe file is...you can find inside the directory, it might be relog or reset or something.
  • : Thanks, but I was looking for a way to restart using the API. And shutdown.exe (2000/XP Only) will shutdown/restart/log off pc. You just need to specify argument -r to restart. I still would like to do it with API though.
    :
    : : System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("C:WindowsSystem32shutdown.exe")
    : : (for shutdown the pc)
    : : for restart pc, i don't know which exe file is...you can find inside the directory, it might be relog or reset or something.
    :

: FYI, shutdown.exe is not included in the windows os environment, it is included in nt's resource kit, try using API's function for that matters. also i have a shutdown.exe file that can do that two options. (shutdown and restart)...

• [b][red]This message was edited by saint_dev at 2003-4-2 0:38:50[/red][/b][hr]
    : : FYI, shutdown.exe is not included in the windows os environment, it is included in nt's resource kit, try using API's function for that matters. also i have a shutdown.exe file that can do that two options. (shutdown and restart)...

Yes as I said I was looking for a way to restart using API...If you would be willing to post an example of how to shutdown/restart using the API it would be a great help. I can not for the life of me figure out how to do it (I'm using XP by the way). And shutdown.exe is included with XP by default.