Help for Michael.......

Michael, is is legal to make a link of this whole site and put it on another site? or do we have to ask permission? can you email them for me, I badly like this site and want people to know.

what is the point of pointers to pointers? arrhh!

I am thinking about writing a text editor, how the heck do *they* do it?

Comments

• : Michael, is is legal to make a link of this whole site and put it on another site? or do we have to ask permission? can you email them for me, I badly like this site and want people to know.

I don't know. I'm sure there's an email address somewhere at the entrance to Programmer's Heaven. As far as I know it's not illegal to link your site to any other site, but you might want to ask anyway.

:

: what is the point of pointers to pointers? arrhh!

It's rare that you need a pointer to a pointer, and almost nonexistant that you need any further levels of indirection, but as an example, imagine that you have an initialized pointer to a structure and you have a function that will set your pointer to point to something. The function needs to be given the address of your pointer (a pointer to a pointer, essentially) so that it can alter your pointer.

Got all that?

It's a little rare.

: I am thinking about writing a text editor, how the heck do *they* do it?

Typically by using the native features of an operating system to take care of a lot of the details like menus and font drawing and that sort of thing. So you'd learn how to write code that interfaces with your particular operating system; specifically with the windowing and text drawing systems.

You could always write a console based text editor. I've done that before. You still interface with your operating system, but rather than using windows, you use console commands. A lot of it can be standard ANSI character I/O, but you may need a few specialized console control commands like clearing the screen or positioning the text cursor.

It depends on the bells and whistles you want. I could write a simple text editor in an hour that allows simple line-by-line editing, a typed-selection menu interface, maybe search and replace, and saving to and from disk. But it wouldn't have real drop-down menus, it wouldn't have WYSIWYG display, it wouldn't have cursor control or easy in-the-middle insertion or word wrap.

• : I am thinking about writing a text editor, how the heck do *they* do it?

If you want to make a simple windows text editor I'd first write it in VB. Then learn windows programming with VC++. (which is easier said than done, as I'm discovering :)

• Pointers to pointers are also used to make dynamic arrays. An array is a fixed-size pointer, if you have an array of pointers, that is technically an pointer to a bunch of pointers. Multi-D arrays are also like that in some cases. Sorry for rambling.

MLINK

: Michael, is is legal to make a link of this whole site and put it on another site? or do we have to ask permission? can you email them for me, I badly like this site and want people to know.

:

: what is the point of pointers to pointers? arrhh!

: I am thinking about writing a text editor, how the heck do *they* do it?