Remote SQL Connection String

[b][red]This message was edited by GWHicks at 2002-12-1 16:50:53[/red][/b][hr]
I am writing a VB.Net app that access an SQL database stored on my webserver. When I use MySQLFront program I can get into the database and make all the changes I want so I know I can connect to it. But I am having trouble coming up with the proper connection string in my VB.Net app. The connection strings I have tried are listed below. If anyone can point me in a direction to do this it would be greatly appreciated.

Connection String 1:
Provider=SQLOLEDB;Server=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,1433;Database=datafile;User ID=username;Password=password

Connection String 2:
Network Library=DBMSSOCN;Data Source=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,1433;Initial Catalog=datafile;User ID=username;Password=password

Connection String 3:
User ID=username;PWD=password;DATABASE=datafile;SERVER=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,1433;DRIVER={SQL Server}

And the code used to open the database:
Dim cn As SqlConnection = New SqlConnection()
cn.ConnectionString = data_path
cn.Open()

data-path is a string populated from a text file (ini file) that code is being read properly so I am pretty sure it is not in that area.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Greg Hicks

Comments

• : [b][red]This message was edited by GWHicks at 2002-12-1 16:50:53[/red][/b][hr]
    : I am writing a VB.Net app that access an SQL database stored on my webserver. When I use MySQLFront program I can get into the database and make all the changes I want so I know I can connect to it. But I am having trouble coming up with the proper connection string in my VB.Net app. The connection strings I have tried are listed below. If anyone can point me in a direction to do this it would be greatly appreciated.
    :
    : Connection String 1:
    : Provider=SQLOLEDB;Server=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,1433;Database=datafile;User ID=username;Password=password
    :
    : Connection String 2:
    : Network Library=DBMSSOCN;Data Source=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,1433;Initial Catalog=datafile;User ID=username;Password=password
    :
    : Connection String 3:
    : User ID=username;PWD=password;DATABASE=datafile;SERVER=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,1433;DRIVER={SQL Server}
    :
    : And the code used to open the database:
    : Dim cn As SqlConnection = New SqlConnection()
    : cn.ConnectionString = data_path
    : cn.Open()
    :
    : data-path is a string populated from a text file (ini file) that code is being read properly so I am pretty sure it is not in that area.
    : Thanks for any help you can offer.
    : Greg Hicks
    :
    :
    :

trye this format ...

Provider=SQLOLEDB;data source=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,1433;
    User ID=username;Password=password;initial catalog=TheDatabaseName;

• : : [b][red]This message was edited by GWHicks at 2002-12-1 16:50:53[/red][/b][hr]
    : : I am writing a VB.Net app that access an SQL database stored on my webserver. When I use MySQLFront program I can get into the database and make all the changes I want so I know I can connect to it. But I am having trouble coming up with the proper connection string in my VB.Net app. The connection strings I have tried are listed below. If anyone can point me in a direction to do this it would be greatly appreciated.
    : :
    : : Connection String 1:
    : : Provider=SQLOLEDB;Server=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,1433;Database=datafile;User ID=username;Password=password
    : : Connection String 2:
    : : Network Library=DBMSSOCN;Data Source=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,1433;Initial Catalog=datafile;User ID=username;Password=password
    : : Connection String 3:
    : : User ID=username;PWD=password;DATABASE=datafile;SERVER=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,1433;DRIVER={SQL Server}
    : : And the code used to open the database:
    : : Dim cn As SqlConnection = New SqlConnection()
    : : cn.ConnectionString = data_path
    : : cn.Open()
    : : data-path is a string populated from a text file (ini file) that code is being read properly so I am pretty sure it is not in that area.
    : : Thanks for any help you can offer.
    : : Greg Hicks
    :
    : trye this format ...
    :
    : Provider=SQLOLEDB;data source=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,1433;
    : User ID=username;Password=password;initial catalog=TheDatabaseName;
    :
    :
    Thanks I finally got it, the proper string ended up being:
    User ID=username;PWD=password;DATABASE=datafile;SERVER=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx;DRIVER=MySQL

I had to take off the port number and add the Driver=MySQL command and I was in. Thanks for your input, I knew it was something simple!
    Greg Hicks