CPU dead?

Are CPUs really this fragile? Or do I just have a lot of bad luck with them?

I'm not completely sure if the CPU is dead, that's why I'm posting; in the hopes that somebody can confirm or offer another diagnosis...

I upgraded a system far enough that it needed a case fan to keep it cool. The case did not come with a fan and I didn't have a fan that fit it, so I modified the tower to hold it. After reassembling the system, it appeared to work just fine except for some rather loud vibration. I looked through the system and it appeared to be the fan on the CPU's heatsink (a light touch made it quit vibrating). I removed the fan and heatsink and put some larger screws in it to hold it tight. I put the heatsink back in the system and turned it back on. The vibration was gone, but now I have intermittent (pretty much random) lockups.

Occasionally, it locks up during POST. Usually, it locks up during OS boot. Thinking it might be the OS, I used a boot CD. I had the same results using the CD as letting it boot from the HDD. Every once in a while, it would make it all the way through bootup, but it [italic]always[/italic] locked up eventually. Now, it won't do anything at all.

Changing memory did not help.
Same results after disconnecting every drive (individually or all at once).
I haven't tried removing the modem, audio or video cards, but I suspect that they won't help.

Thanks,
KDL

Comments

• If the fan is producing vibration, it may affect the power supply
    to become unstable (because a vibrating fan will eat lots of power!)
    Or it may cause a lot of noise that may interfere the signals inside
    the CPU.
    Better to change the fan first.

: Are CPUs really this fragile? Or do I just have a lot of bad luck with them?
    :
    : I'm not completely sure if the CPU is dead, that's why I'm posting; in the hopes that somebody can confirm or offer another diagnosis...
    :
    : I upgraded a system far enough that it needed a case fan to keep it cool. The case did not come with a fan and I didn't have a fan that fit it, so I modified the tower to hold it. After reassembling the system, it appeared to work just fine except for some rather loud vibration. I looked through the system and it appeared to be the fan on the CPU's heatsink (a light touch made it quit vibrating). I removed the fan and heatsink and put some larger screws in it to hold it tight. I put the heatsink back in the system and turned it back on. The vibration was gone, but now I have intermittent (pretty much random) lockups.
    :
    : Occasionally, it locks up during POST. Usually, it locks up during OS boot. Thinking it might be the OS, I used a boot CD. I had the same results using the CD as letting it boot from the HDD. Every once in a while, it would make it all the way through bootup, but it [italic]always[/italic] locked up eventually. Now, it won't do anything at all.
    :
    : Changing memory did not help.
    : Same results after disconnecting every drive (individually or all at once).
    : I haven't tried removing the modem, audio or video cards, but I suspect that they won't help.
    :
    : Thanks,
    : KDL
    :

• Did you overclock it? I've heard too much overclocking can cause the computer to lock up.
  • : Did you overclock it? I've heard too much overclocking can cause the computer to lock up.
    :

Never got the email indicating a reply. Sorry... Here's the followup I always like to get so I know if I helped someone:

No, I've never overclocked a system because I can't afford replacement chips (can barely afford the original!). Truth to tell, I wouldn't know how except in a BIOS setup that allows one to raise the speed in tiny steps. Or in my own where there's jumpers on the m/b that sets the speed (but as it's the only rock-stable system we have, I ain't messing with it!).

Turned out it was a flaky chip; it died shortly thereafter. Replacing the chip with one from a dead m/b made the system work fine.

Thanks!
    KDL