Serial ports

I am new to VB.net and have made a program that needs to send a "?" to a device on com 1. After approx 500ms the device on Com1 will then return 3 ascii values, example: 5 .131 .159

I need to set these values to respective variables... I am not finding helpful info. Any help available?

Tony

Comments

• Are you asking for help with serial port communication or string manipulation? If you are asking about serial communication Microsoft has a pretty good sample which includes a reuseable class file for reading and writing to the serial port. This sample is located here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvssamp/html/vbcs_usingthecomportinvbnet.asp (it took me months to find this information!!!) If have figured out how to use the serial port and you are just trying to get the data to go to it's respective places then you will have to use some string manipulation to retrieve substrings and assign them to the correct variable.