A question about overcomming something in the ancient language... ...

Hi, my name is Joel, and I'm new to this board. I doubt anybody here has anything to do with VBDOS, but I'm giveing this a shot anyway. I'm also posting this in the other Programmers Heaven's message board as well. Anyway, here goes.

I'm makeing an IDE and need to overcome VB's 32K text box limit. I've downloaded EME and am going to try TRANSLATE on it to make it work for VBDOS. If it doesn't work, does anybody know how to over come the 32K limit? All help is appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Hello, fellow VBDos'er,

I think we might be the only two people left in the world who use it!

You can't put more than 32K in a text box.

If this "EME" is compiled, translate won't be able to do anything to it. I think translate really only works between VBDos and VBWin1.

Here's a workaround, but it's not very easy to implement:

As the textbox approaches about 25K, check the cursor position (Doesn't VBDos support .SelStart?, it's been a while since I've used it). If it's near the end, then strip about 5K off the beginning of the text. If it's near the beginning, strip some off the end. Sounds easy enough, right? You also need to use KeyDown to monitor the cursor position so that if you removed some from the end and the user is getting closer to the beginning, you can add to the beginning and strip from the end, and vice-versa if the user gets near the end. You also need to monitor the change event, in case the user decides to cut or paste.

Good luck!

• Well, that wasn't exactly what I wanted to know, but thanks anyway. I am however, thankfull for telling me about .selstart That will help me with another problem I'm haveing.

And, if you don't mind, I have one last thing to ask you. It involves VBDOS PRO and creating custom controlls. If you know all about that, then I have 1 question to ask.

Thanks for all your help so far.

• : And, if you don't mind, I have one last thing to ask you. It involves VBDOS PRO and creating custom controlls. If you know all about that, then I have 1 question to ask.

I know about custom controls in vb5 pro, so there is a small chance I'll be able to help you. Post and we'll find out if I can...

• Ok, here goes. I tried makeing a custom controll, I went to the form designer, and put it on a form. I had my custom controll have things like a caption and text, in the form designer, I used the caption to give my controll a name, then I ran the program to test my controll. It had no caption, and even though I said that it can hold text, when I clicked on it, nothing happened. In fact, it didn't have any of the properties I gave it. Do you know if you're supposed to add some code yourself when you create a controll, in addition to what the custom controll generator produces?

: : And, if you don't mind, I have one last thing to ask you. It involves VBDOS PRO and creating custom controlls. If you know all about that, then I have 1 question to ask.

: I know about custom controls in vb5 pro, so there is a small chance I'll be able to help you. Post and we'll find out if I can...

• : Ok, here goes. I tried makeing a custom controll, I went to the form designer, and put it on a form. I had my custom controll have things like a caption and text, in the form designer, I used the caption to give my controll a name, then I ran the program to test my controll. It had no caption, and even though I said that it can hold text, when I clicked on it, nothing happened. In fact, it didn't have any of the properties I gave it. Do you know if you're supposed to add some code yourself when you create a controll, in addition to what the custom controll generator produces?

I don't have a copy of VBDos that can make a custom control and unless you feel like emailing me a copy, this could be my only guess:

In vb5, I would have to use something like:

Public Property Let MyControlCaption(New_Caption As String)

MyControl.Caption = New_Caption

PropertyChanged "MyControlCaption"

End Property

Public Property Get MyControlCaption() As String

MyControlCaption = Whatever_The_Caption_Is

End Property

I doubt this would help, but...

• : : Ok, here goes. I tried makeing a custom controll, I went to the form designer, and put it on a form. I had my custom controll have things like a caption and text, in the form designer, I used the caption to give my controll a name, then I ran the program to test my controll. It had no caption, and even though I said that it can hold text, when I clicked on it, nothing happened. In fact, it didn't have any of the properties I gave it. Do you know if you're supposed to add some code yourself when you create a controll, in addition to what the custom controll generator produces?

: I don't have a copy of VBDos that can make a custom control and unless you feel like emailing me a copy, this could be my only guess:

: In vb5, I would have to use something like:

: Public Property Let MyControlCaption(New_Caption As String)

: MyControl.Caption = New_Caption

: PropertyChanged "MyControlCaption"

: End Property

: Public Property Get MyControlCaption() As String

: MyControlCaption = Whatever_The_Caption_Is

: End Property

: I doubt this would help, but...