pointer help

Im using Borland C++. An error occur when I try to compile this:

unsigned char far *videobuffer = (unsigned char far *)0xA0000000L;

the message is: Declaration sintax error.

What is the problem?

Comments

• : Im using Borland C++. An error occur when I try to compile this:
    :
    : unsigned char far *videobuffer = (unsigned char far *)0xA0000000L;
    :
    : the message is: Declaration sintax error.
    :
    : What is the problem?
    :
    Memory model and segmented architecture.

unsigned char far *videobuffer = (unsigned char far *) MK_FP(0xa000, 0).

• Very strange... when I use turbo C++, everthing goes ok!
    But thanks anyway!
  • : Very strange... when I use turbo C++, everthing goes ok!
    : But thanks anyway!
    :

I guess the explanation is that the "far" keyword is not supported anymore by the new 32-bit versions of BCC...
  • : I guess the explanation is that the "far" keyword is not supported anymore by the new 32-bit versions of BCC...

What should I use instead?

• : : I guess the explanation is that the "far" keyword is not supported anymore by the new 32-bit versions of BCC...
    :
    : What should I use instead?
    :
    :

Nothing. It isn't a standard C/C++ feature, it was only meant to be used in DOS. Of course, as you are compiling 32-bit code, your entire code won't work as video memory will (should, POS win9x) be protected. Instead you'll need to go through the operating system. As BC++ is more used for Windows then Linux, I'll assume you are using Windows. In this case, if you want low-level screen access a decent library to use is SDL (www.libsdl.org). It's simple and quick to get framebuffer level access and it's cross-platform, so actually it doesn't matter whether you are using Windows or Linux (etc).

If you want higher-level 2D access then there are libraries that go with SDL that will do that or just other libraries in general, and if you want 3D graphics then I would recommend OpenGL (you can do 2D graphics with OpenGL, but I'd recommend a more dedicated library.)

"We can't do nothing and think someone else will make it right."
    -Kyoto Now, Bad Religion

• : Nothing. It isn't a standard C/C++ feature, it was only meant to be used in DOS. Of course, as you are compiling 32-bit code, your entire code won't work as video memory will (should, POS win9x) be protected. Instead you'll need to go through the operating system. As BC++ is more used for Windows then Linux, I'll assume you are using Windows. In this case, if you want low-level screen access a decent library to use is SDL (www.libsdl.org). It's simple and quick to get framebuffer level access and it's cross-platform, so actually it doesn't matter whether you are using Windows or Linux (etc).
    :
    : If you want higher-level 2D access then there are libraries that go with SDL that will do that or just other libraries in general, and if you want 3D graphics then I would recommend OpenGL (you can do 2D graphics with OpenGL, but I'd recommend a more dedicated library.)
    :
    : "We can't do nothing and think someone else will make it right."
    : -Kyoto Now, Bad Religion
    :
    Thanks a lot you all... it is a hard way to knowledge...( it is ?)