Distributing my application

I would like to distribute my visual basic application to other people via email attachment. First I tried emailing out the exe file, and that didn't work because some DLLs and OCX files were missing. I was told to create a distribution package using the Visual Basic wizard. I did that and it created a few files. It created a setup.exe, setup.lst and a CAB file.

My question is, if I want to email my application as one file (an email attachment), do I need to send them these three files? Or are there any additional files? Will the setup.exe install the necessary DLLs and OCX files in the users appropriate directories?

My plan is to zip the needed files and email it out. Any help to this beginner in setup wizards would be appreciated.

Xeifrank.

Comments

• : I would like to distribute my visual basic application to other people via email attachment. First I tried emailing out the exe file, and that didn't work because some DLLs and OCX files were missing. I was told to create a distribution package using the Visual Basic wizard. I did that and it created a few files. It created a setup.exe, setup.lst and a CAB file.

I believe the CAB file will contain all of the needed files.
  • I need to distribute which files?

setup.exe ?
    setup.list ?
    CAB file?

Any others????

Thanks.

Xeifrank
  • : I need to distribute which files?
    :
    : setup.exe ?
    : setup.list ?
    : CAB file?

yes, those.

:
    : Any others????

I don't think so

• : : I need to distribute which files?
    : :
    : : setup.exe ?
    : : setup.list ?
    : : CAB file?
    :
    : yes, those.
    :
    : :
    : : Any others????
    :
    : I don't think so
    :
    :

I thought setup.exe was the installation proggy that extracts the .cab file to directories designated by the .list or .lst file...

I'm not sure tho. But .cab DOES contain all the files needed but if you needed files to be in different directories... iono.

• If you plan to distribute your application on Win2000 or WinXP, you don't need to send any additional files since they're already there!

If I were you, I wouldn't be using VB Package & Deplayment Wizard. It's stupid.
  • Why is it stupid? And what can I use (free download) that would be better?

Thanks,

Xeifrank