Proper uses of data type time_t and struct tm

[hr]I am writing command-line programs in C. Given the following...

[code]#include

#define MAX 200

struct mystruct {
/* Various structure members here */
struct tm date; /* Following members of tm used: tm_mday, tm_mon,
tm_year. This data is [italic]not[/italic]
obtained from time(), [italic]but is entered
by the user[/italic]. Think of this as part
of a stamp collection program, for example.
The user would have to [italic]enter[/italic]
the "date of issue", since this would have
nothing at all to do with the system time. */
} data[MAX];[/code]

...I later realized that (I think) [blue]struct tm[/blue] is not generally used for [italic]storing[/italic] time-related data, but rather for [italic]using[/italic] it (display date/time, etc.). To [italic]store[/italic] time-related data, isn't the data type [blue]time_t[/blue] generally more appropriate?

Yes, I know that in the kind of situation above (user-entered data) one might just as well use integers instead of anything provided by [blue]time.h[/blue] (i.e., declare [blue]int date, int month, int year[/blue]). But from a pedagogical perspective, I'm trying to get in the habit of learning and sticking to standard practice, with a view to developing large, portable, maintainable and extensible programs.[hr]

Comments

• : [hr]I am writing command-line programs in C. Given the following...
    :
    : [code]#include
    :
    : #define MAX 200
    :
    : struct mystruct {
    : /* Various structure members here */
    : struct tm date; /* Following members of tm used: tm_mday, tm_mon,
    : tm_year. This data is [italic]not[/italic]
    : obtained from time(), [italic]but is entered
    : by the user[/italic]. Think of this as part
    : of a stamp collection program, for example.
    : The user would have to [italic]enter[/italic]
    : the "date of issue", since this would have
    : nothing at all to do with the system time. */
    : } data[MAX];[/code]
    :
    : ...I later realized that (I think) [blue]struct tm[/blue] is not generally used for [italic]storing[/italic] time-related data, but rather for [italic]using[/italic] it (display date/time, etc.). To [italic]store[/italic] time-related data, isn't the data type [blue]time_t[/blue] generally more appropriate?
    :
    : Yes, I know that in the kind of situation above (user-entered data) one might just as well use integers instead of anything provided by [blue]time.h[/blue] (i.e., declare [blue]int date, int month, int year[/blue]). But from a pedagogical perspective, I'm trying to get in the habit of learning and sticking to standard practice, with a view to developing large, portable, maintainable and extensible programs.[hr]
    :

Yes, use time_t myvar; or you can just just long myvar; if its just storing.