Writing an original protocol

As a part of a college project, I will have to write my own protocol so that my application can communicate with multiple pc's connected to a main computer via serial port ( has to be this way).

Can anyone point me to a tutorial or something where I can learn about protocols. I see them every day as I am on a LAN, but I don't actually know what they are and how/why I need a unique one for my project.
Thanks,
merlin_bar

Comments

• : As a part of a college project, I will have to write my own protocol so that my application can communicate with multiple pc's connected to a main computer via serial port ( has to be this way).
    :
    : Can anyone point me to a tutorial or something where I can learn about protocols. I see them every day as I am on a LAN, but I don't actually know what they are and how/why I need a unique one for my project.
    : Thanks,
    : merlin_bar
    :

You can use some really basic protocol like RS232, have a look on

http://www.camiresearch.com/Data_Com_Basics/RS232_standard.html#anchor1155404

For a LAN it is based on different protocols (data link layer can be Ethernet,Token Ring...) which are more complicated and anyway they do not use the serial port.