problem with EXE on network file-server

I posted this message in the .NET General forum but I am cross-posting it here
in the hopes that someone can help:
I am fairly new to the .NET architecture, so I apologize if this is a simple issue and I
just don't get it.

First the backgroud: I have an EXE file with a series of buttons that acts as a
switchboard for my users to access different files
(Excel, Access, etc.) located on a network file-server. The EXE file resides on a
network file-server and users execute the
EXE via a shortcut on their desktop. When a button on the switchboard is clicked, I
am using the Shell() function with the
appropriate file as an argument to launch the file on the user's computer. This EXE
file currently exists as a VB6 project and
works like a champ.

Now for my problem: I am upgrading to the VB.NET architecture and everything
works fine when I run the EXE from my
desktop. When I place it on the file-server and execute it from there, the
switchboard comes up fine but I cannot launch
any files when I click any of the buttons. I get an error stating that "The
application attempted to perform an operation not
allowed by the security policy. The operation required the SecurityException...". I
have full security rights to the area I am
trying to access -- obviously since I can successfully access it when the EXE is run
from my desktop. It only gives an error if
the EXE resides on the server. Has anyone experienced this problem or know the
solution??? Thanks!

Comments

• I have a similar problem. It seems that you have to use the .NET Framework on client PCs to allow your application to run. That is the simply explanation. I can be more definitive on this if you need more. I will post my real question elsewhere, but also list it here. How can I build the .exe so we don't need to configure the .NET Framework on client PCs? Or is that just the way the new .NET system works?

• Unfortunately I never found a way to build an .exe that would take care of the configuration, and because of a time-sensitive issue I simply obtained a copy of VB 6.0 to do what I needed to do. I think this is just the way that .NET works -- I guess it makes sense for certain situations, but for the simple "switchboard" that I was trying to build, it's just way too complicated. Too bad for Microsoft there, 'cause I haven't touched it since and I've actually been in contact with several others around my company who have also had the same experience and will not touch .NET again.
  • Please read another posting on this message board about exe. Another gentleman there explained it well enough. It is just the way .NET applications work. Makes you wonder what Win2003, XP, and the next Office package will all be about. Microsoft sure is putting this .NET on the forefront. I sure would hope things get easier, because I see no need for this additional security layer, and that is what it is.