How to interact with other progs..

Here's my question:

I was wondering how to write programs that interact with other programs. For instance, I used to play Ultima Online. There were tons of 3rd party programs that did actions for you in game(mostly macro). I was wondering how this is done? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• : Here's my question:
    :
    : I was wondering how to write programs that interact with other programs. For instance, I used to play Ultima Online. There were tons of 3rd party programs that did actions for you in game(mostly macro). I was wondering how this is done? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    :
    :

To control another program is one thing, and it is OS and program specific. For example, with a Windows program you may be able to pump WM_KEYDOWN/UP messages to the program and call it a day. It depends on how the program gets IO and how the OS delivers the IO.

The CS-ishy case of designing cooperative processes has quite a few solutions. Signals, shared memory, messages, pipes, files, or (though not bery appropriate) debugging interfaces.

"We can't do nothing and think someone else will make it right."
    -Kyoto Now, Bad Religion

• : : Here's my question:
    : :
    : : I was wondering how to write programs that interact with other programs. For instance, I used to play Ultima Online. There were tons of 3rd party programs that did actions for you in game(mostly macro). I was wondering how this is done? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    :
    : To control another program is one thing, and it is OS and program specific. For example, with a Windows program you may be able to pump WM_KEYDOWN/UP messages to the program and call it a day. It depends on how the program gets IO and how the OS delivers the IO.
    :
    : The CS-ishy case of designing cooperative processes has quite a few solutions. Signals, shared memory, messages, pipes, files, or (though not bery appropriate) debugging interfaces.
    :
    : "We can't do nothing and think someone else will make it right."
    : -Kyoto Now, Bad Religion
    :
    :

Ok, that clears it up a little..thanks. Where could I find information pertaining to this subject matter?