String manipulation question

Okay, sorry if you guys get heaps of questions like this, but here goes...

I'm using a BSTR, which has been passed in from an ASP, and is a long xml string of the format namewhatever...

I want to use this to perform a database update with the user information. I'm no good at string manipulation so my question is how do I get the information out of the string, and into variables?

Basically I want to extract the data field (eg username, password), and the associated value. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• : Okay, sorry if you guys get heaps of questions like this, but here goes...
    :
    : I'm using a BSTR, which has been passed in from an ASP, and is a long xml string of the format namewhatever...
    :
    : I want to use this to perform a database update with the user information. I'm no good at string manipulation so my question is how do I get the information out of the string, and into variables?
    :
    : Basically I want to extract the data field (eg username, password), and the associated value. Any help would be much appreciated.
    :
    : Thanks

feed the string to an xml parser - you get either the DOM (for msxml or xerces) and you read the nodes you're interested in, or (for something like expat) you read the data in the appropriate event handlers.