Message board etiquette

I am a relative beginner in programming, and the other day, for the first time, I posted a message on a message board. Within 24 hours, somebody had posted an answer that solved my problem.

My natural impulse is to e-mail its author to say thanks. However, I thought I had better check on an etiquette issue: Is e-mailing one's thanks considered unnecessary, or perhaps even a minor annoyance (i.e., yet another e-mail to clutter up the recipient's life)? Or on the contrary, is this appreciated? What is the established practice in this regard?

Many thanks,

Steve Wilson

Comments

• : I am a relative beginner in programming, and the other day, for the first time, I posted a message on a message board. Within 24 hours, somebody had posted an answer that solved my problem.
    :
    : My natural impulse is to e-mail its author to say thanks. However, I thought I had better check on an etiquette issue: Is e-mailing one's thanks considered unnecessary, or perhaps even a minor annoyance (i.e., yet another e-mail to clutter up the recipient's life)? Or on the contrary, is this appreciated? What is the established practice in this regard?
    :
    I appreciate, but never expect, a thank you. I suspect that most others feel the same way, but I can only speak for myself. A thank you lets us know that our efforts to help have value and motivates us to continue providing what help we can.