how to copy the value in a const data member

Hey,
I'm having some trouble using the result returned by a "const" member function. Specifically, I'm iterating through a list of _bstr_t strings (_bstr_t is the type of one of the fields in my ADO recordset) and I want to store the length of the longest _bstr_t.
But, a statement like this one:

if (myBstr.length > currentMaxLength)
currentMaxLength = myBstr.length;

produces compiler error:

error C2440: '=' : cannot convert from
'unsigned int(__thiscall _bstr_t::*)(void) const' to 'int'

I've tried to cast myBsrt to an int, to an unsigned int, etc. I'm confused as to why this is incorrect because I simply want to make a copy of the value in myBstr.length - I'm not trying to change the const data member! Any help would be much appreciated.

Macmood

Comments

• [b][red]This message was edited by HK_MP5KPDW at 2002-8-14 13:9:33[/red][/b][hr]
    [blue]My guess? See the quick comment in [red]red[/red] below.[/blue]
    :
    : Hey,
    : I'm having some trouble using the result returned by a "const" member function. Specifically, I'm iterating through a list of _bstr_t strings (_bstr_t is the type of one of the fields in my ADO recordset) and I want to store the length of the longest _bstr_t.
    : But, a statement like this one:
    :
    : if (myBstr.length[red]()[/red] > currentMaxLength)
    : currentMaxLength = myBstr.length[red]()[/red];
    :
    : produces compiler error:
    :
    : error C2440: '=' : cannot convert from
    : 'unsigned int(__thiscall _bstr_t::*)(void) const' to 'int'
    :
    : I've tried to cast myBsrt to an int, to an unsigned int, etc. I'm confused as to why this is incorrect because I simply want to make a copy of the value in myBstr.length - I'm not trying to change the const data member! Any help would be much appreciated.
    :
    : Macmood
    :
    :

• :
    : Hey,
    : I'm having some trouble using the result returned by a "const" member function. Specifically, I'm iterating through a list of _bstr_t strings (_bstr_t is the type of one of the fields in my ADO recordset) and I want to store the length of the longest _bstr_t.
    : But, a statement like this one:
    :
    : if (myBstr.length > currentMaxLength)
    : currentMaxLength = myBstr.length;
    :
    : produces compiler error:
    :
    : error C2440: '=' : cannot convert from
    : 'unsigned int(__thiscall _bstr_t::*)(void) const' to 'int'
    :
    : I've tried to cast myBsrt to an int, to an unsigned int, etc. I'm confused as to why this is incorrect because I simply want to make a copy of the value in myBstr.length - I'm not trying to change the const data member! Any help would be much appreciated.
    :
    : Macmood
    :

Also try using the dot operatory (member class operator) in "CurrentMaxlength().