Programming in VC++ for Linux

Here is the scenario:
I program scientific software for a group firmly rooted in Linux. The Linux IDE's pale in comparison to VC++ (please no opinions). I have two boxes on my desk, one a win2K and the other a Redhat 7.2. Both are on the network and I can use Cygwin to transfer files in and out of the win2k box.

What I want to do is set it up so that I can develop in VC++ for my Linux box. Be able to debug and run the executable on the Linux Box using all of the standard bells and whistles of VC++. IS this possible? If so how can I set this up?

You can contact me directly at rwhite@lanl.gov

Comments

• : Here is the scenario:
    : I program scientific software for a group firmly rooted in Linux. The Linux IDE's pale in comparison to VC++ (please no opinions). I have two boxes on my desk, one a win2K and the other a Redhat 7.2. Both are on the network and I can use Cygwin to transfer files in and out of the win2k box.
    :
    : What I want to do is set it up so that I can develop in VC++ for my Linux box. Be able to debug and run the executable on the Linux Box using all of the standard bells and whistles of VC++. IS this possible? If so how can I set this up?
    :
    : You can contact me directly at rwhite@lanl.gov
    :

You can probably get the first part, just set the Custom Build to run GCC and what not. Or wander around and see if you can find a place where you can specify which compiler to use. Most IDE's have something like that, but I didn't find it in a quick perusal of MSVC++ 6. You may have to silence the VC++ compiler somehow if custom build doesn't imply NOT running the VC++ compiler. However, using a different compiler, you are likely to miss many things that you want. For example, the error messages might not work the same or show up, I seriously doubt debugging will work, but you may be able to work something out.

"We can't do nothing and think someone else will make it right."
    -Kyoto Now, Bad Religion