Socket Trouble

[b][red]This message was edited by what99 at 2002-7-31 20:34:58[/red][/b][hr]
[b][red]This message was edited by what99 at 2002-7-31 20:7:41[/red][/b][hr]
I am having a basic problem. I get an error saying "error C2275: 'SOCKET' : illegal use of this type as an expression."

I have looked at many examples and this looks like it is set right. I am using Visual Studio 6.0. I have linked wsock32.lib and mpr.lib.

#include
#include
//#include
#include
#include
#include
#include

int main() {

WSADATA WsaDat;
if (WSAStartup(MAKEWORD(1, 1), &WsaDat) != 0)
{
printf("WSA Initialization Failed");
}

SOCKET Socket;
Socket = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0);
if (Socket == INVALID_SOCKET)
{
printf("Socket creation failed.");
}

}

I haven't got to the rest of the program since the socket initialization won't work. I have also tried and have the same error in Dev C++. Is there another file I am supposed to link or include? What else could be wrong?

Thanks

Comments

• : [b][red]This message was edited by what99 at 2002-7-31 20:34:58[/red][/b][hr]
    : [b][red]This message was edited by what99 at 2002-7-31 20:7:41[/red][/b][hr]
    : I am having a basic problem. I get an error saying "error C2275: 'SOCKET' : illegal use of this type as an expression."
    :
    : I have looked at many examples and this looks like it is set right. I am using Visual Studio 6.0. I have linked wsock32.lib and mpr.lib.
    :
    :
    :
    : #include
    : //#include
    :
    : int main() {
    :
    : WSADATA WsaDat;
    : if (WSAStartup(MAKEWORD(1, 1), &WsaDat) != 0)
    : {
    : printf("WSA Initialization Failed");
    : }
    :
    :
    : SOCKET Socket;
    : Socket = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0);
    : if (Socket == INVALID_SOCKET)
    : printf("Socket creation failed.");
    :
    :
    : I haven't got to the rest of the program since the socket initialization won't work. I have also tried and have the same error in Dev C++. Is there another file I am supposed to link or include? What else could be wrong?
    :
    : Thanks
    :
    :
    :

Strange. I compiled that piece of code with VC++ 6.0 (enterprise edition) and it worked well.

Are you compiling your code as C? If you are, you need to declare Socket variable before that WSAStartup statement.
  • [b][red]This message was edited by what99 at 2002-8-1 7:54:7[/red][/b][hr]
    [b][red]This message was edited by what99 at 2002-8-1 7:53:33[/red][/b][hr]
    [b][red]This message was edited by what99 at 2002-8-1 7:43:16[/red][/b][hr]
    [QUOTE]Strange. I compiled that piece of code with VC++ 6.0 (enterprise edition) and it worked well.

Are you compiling your code as C? If you are, you need to declare Socket variable before that WSAStartup statement.[/QUOTE]

That must be the problem. My file is called sockprac.c. This is my first try at sockets in C.

#include
    #include
    //#include
    #include
    #include
    #include
    #include

int main() {

SOCKET Socket;

WSADATA WsaDat;
    if (WSAStartup(MAKEWORD(1, 1), &WsaDat) != 0)
    {
    printf("WSA Initialization Failed");
    }

//SOCKET Socket;
    Socket = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0);
    if (Socket == INVALID_SOCKET)
    {
    printf("Socket creation failed.");
    }
    }

So is this how it should be. I get no errors at compile time, but if you could verify I'd really appriciate it. Thanks

• [b][red]This message was edited by weicco at 2002-8-2 3:29:40[/red][/b][hr]
    : [b][red]This message was edited by what99 at 2002-8-1 7:54:7[/red][/b][hr]
    : [b][red]This message was edited by what99 at 2002-8-1 7:53:33[/red][/b][hr]
    : [b][red]This message was edited by what99 at 2002-8-1 7:43:16[/red][/b][hr]
    : [QUOTE]Strange. I compiled that piece of code with VC++ 6.0 (enterprise edition) and it worked well.
    :
    : Are you compiling your code as C? If you are, you need to declare Socket variable before that WSAStartup statement.[/QUOTE]
    :
    :
    : That must be the problem. My file is called sockprac.c. This is my first try at sockets in C.
    :
    :
    : //#include
    :
    : int main() {
    :
    : SOCKET Socket;
    :
    : WSADATA WsaDat;
    : if (WSAStartup(MAKEWORD(1, 1), &WsaDat) != 0)
    : printf("WSA Initialization Failed");
    :
    :
    : //SOCKET Socket;
    : Socket = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0);
    : if (Socket == INVALID_SOCKET)
    : printf("Socket creation failed.");
    :
    : So is this how it should be. I get no errors at compile time, but if you could verify I'd really appriciate it. Thanks
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

hmm... I'm not too good in english so this is little difficult to me to explain... but let's try.

In C all variables must be declared before any statement (you can initialize variables). Like this:

[code]int main(void) {
    int i; // ok
    char c; // ok
    some_func();
    int n; // error
    return 0;
    }
    [/code]

Of course you can declare variables like this:

[code]int main(void) {
    int i; // ok
    if (some_func()) {
    int n; // on;
    }
    int a; // error;

{
    int b; // ok
    }
    return 0;
    }
    [/code]

I hope you understand. If not maybe somebody with better english skills could explain... :)

• Perfectly clear. Thank you much.