Help with Databases

Okay, this one may be a little bit difficult. I have a database with a table of a list of the names of students. The fields include first name, last name, grade, date, Sign Out Date, Sign out reason. The names, grade and date are loaded into text boxes and the sign out date and sign out reason are loaded into a listview control. I want to be able to have multiple instances for signing out. The only way I know how to do this is to add fields each time an instance is added or create a new table for each student. This is what I want to avoid. I want to be able to add instances to the database without adding fields or tables. Anyone who has used ACT! you know what I am talking about. Each record has a history tab at the bottom that includes notes date and other things. This is exactly what I want to accomplish. Thanks in advance for the help.

Josh

Comments

• : Okay, this one may be a little bit difficult. I have a database with a table of a list of the names of students. The fields include first name, last name, grade, date, Sign Out Date, Sign out reason. The names, grade and date are loaded into text boxes and the sign out date and sign out reason are loaded into a listview control. I want to be able to have multiple instances for signing out. The only way I know how to do this is to add fields each time an instance is added or create a new table for each student. This is what I want to avoid. I want to be able to add instances to the database without adding fields or tables. Anyone who has used ACT! you know what I am talking about. Each record has a history tab at the bottom that includes notes date and other things. This is exactly what I want to accomplish. Thanks in advance for the help.

: Josh

I would subjust that you could 1) create a relational database. Using a key in the main table to field in the second table, this would be a one to many relationship. The table would look like this:

Main Scores

StudentKey RecordID

First Name StudentKey

Last Name Grade

Date

Sign Off date

Sign Off Reason

Using a query to get each record as a set, or get the main and use the key to get each score record to set up your tabs.

2) If the data on the scores are not used outside your program this way would also work. Set up each of the score fields as a memo type field, for a large fields. Use a tab or other delimiting character between each set of data, in this way you will create an datafield which can be accessed as an array in your code.

URL:695.html

• In addition, I would add that a very similar example is in the latest issue of VBPJ.

: : Okay, this one may be a little bit difficult. I have a database with a table of a list of the names of students. The fields include first name, last name, grade, date, Sign Out Date, Sign out reason. The names, grade and date are loaded into text boxes and the sign out date and sign out reason are loaded into a listview control. I want to be able to have multiple instances for signing out. The only way I know how to do this is to add fields each time an instance is added or create a new table for each student. This is what I want to avoid. I want to be able to add instances to the database without adding fields or tables. Anyone who has used ACT! you know what I am talking about. Each record has a history tab at the bottom that includes notes date and other things. This is exactly what I want to accomplish. Thanks in advance for the help.

: : Josh

: I would subjust that you could 1) create a relational database. Using a key in the main table to field in the second table, this would be a one to many relationship. The table would look like this:

: Main Scores

: StudentKey RecordID

: First Name StudentKey

: Last Name Grade

: Date

: Sign Off date

: Sign Off Reason

: Using a query to get each record as a set, or get the main and use the key to get each score record to set up your tabs.

: 2) If the data on the scores are not used outside your program this way would also work. Set up each of the score fields as a memo type field, for a large fields. Use a tab or other delimiting character between each set of data, in this way you will create an datafield which can be accessed as an array in your code.