24 bit to 256 color

I have set a 256 color mode in dos. But what happen is the color problem. If I want to inside two diffrent bitmap(with diffrent palete, diffrent 256 color), how to solve this problem to make the color compatible. May be a little code to explain in c. Thank you.

Comments

• : I have set a 256 color mode in dos. But what happen is the color problem. If I want to inside two diffrent bitmap(with diffrent palete, diffrent 256 color), how to solve this problem to make the color compatible. May be a little code to explain in c. Thank you.
    :
    I had the same problem quite some time ago. There are many algorithms which map a 24-bit based RBG cube onto a fixed palette. You can find them on the net. If you want a quick dirty method of doing it, you can open all 256 color bitmaps onto a large canvas (in Photoshop,etc) in 24 bit mode, convert it to 256 colors and then cut out the bitmaps. Basically, let photoshop do the math for you. :-) That way you will have the same palette for all your images. Search also for color dithering.