Data access speed to be increased

Hello all,

I've developed an application using VB6.0 and Oracle8i. The data resides on Oracle server and 25 users access this data through VB interface and each of them have Oracle8i Client installed at their end. Initially when there are less no.of records in a table the data access speed is pretty good, but as it increases to few thousands the speed of data access reduces tremendously. FYI, let me tell u that the data is displayed in DataGrid.
Can anyone tell me how to retain the speed even if the size of table(s)
increases.

Sangeeta.

Comments

• : Hello all,
    :
    : I've developed an application using VB6.0 and Oracle8i. The data resides on Oracle server and 25 users access this data through VB interface and each of them have Oracle8i Client installed at their end. Initially when there are less no.of records in a table the data access speed is pretty good, but as it increases to few thousands the speed of data access reduces tremendously. FYI, let me tell u that the data is displayed in DataGrid.
    : Can anyone tell me how to retain the speed even if the size of table(s)
    : increases.

One of the easiest ways is to limit the amount of data that any single query will return by adding criteria to the WHERE clause. For example, one system I've worked on maintained data for a number of different brands. For example, if it were a database for a shoe store, you might have the same data for Nike, Adidas, New Balance, Fila, etc. If you can limit all your queries by brand, or brand and style, or brand, style, and price range (etc etc etc) then you will reduce the amount of data that has to be marshalled between the database and your application at any given time.

One of the best ways to improve database performance on queries is to create indexes (indices?) on your tables and have your select statement utilize them. An index acts as basically a search tree that points to rows in a table. It's much faster for the database to search a tree than to scan every row in your table, so well a well designed index on a large table can improve performance dramatically. For example, if you have a table of shoe information, and your queries utilize the brand field, an index on the brand field will allow the database engine to zero in on appropriate data much faster.

It may also be that your queries are designed inefficiently.

I suggest you do some research on indexes and perhaps query optimization.