Access Programming

I am a dBase programmer trying to understand Access. Most of the time it is pretty straight forward,

but I am having trouble with basics like creating and using varibles, or doing a replace command

that is so easy in dBASE but seems so difficult in Access.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Comments

• : I am a dBase programmer trying to understand Access. Most of the time it is pretty straight forward,

: but I am having trouble with basics like creating and using varibles, or doing a replace command

: that is so easy in dBASE but seems so difficult in Access.

: Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Access is quite different to dBase in structure. Up to dBase IV, this product was really not an event driven programming environment. Access on the other hand, when you get into the programming environment behind the wizards, is an event driven language. Try looking up the Help and search under Basic, and this should provide you with a list of all the various commands but more importantly examples of code. Each code procedure is linked to an event, i.e. the FORM loading, a mouse click, the FORM unloading. You can also make use of a number of built in functions by using the available Macro commands which can be executed from your code.

With specific regard to your question:

To define a variable, decide if you want it available to just that procedure, form or the entire project, that will dictate where you declare it which is done via the DIM statement (see HELP). Text inspection and replace can be done using the MID$ or STR commands (see HELP)

Hope this helps

Justin