download a file using http or ftp

If anyone could help direct me towards the correct tools that would be great. What I would like to be able to do, is within my C app running in win95/98, I would like to connect to a given HTTP site and download a file from it. (FTP is also ok, but less preferable).

What I would like to know, is:

a) what library/api do i need to use, and where can I find some documentation on this

b) links to resources which may help instruct me on the matter

c) if possible, some example source would be very helpful.

I have found the following code for downloading from FTP, it was posted on this message board too. I truncated the parameters, however this seems very much what I am looking for, especially if i can change to HTTP instead of FTP. Can anyone tell me what API/library, if any this is using? (ie, what do i need for it in terms of headers etc..)

hOpen = InternetOpen ("FTP"...);

hConnect = InternetConnect(...);

FtpGetFile(...);

Thankyou for taking your time to read this. If you can get back to me with some info it would be great!

Comments

• : If anyone could help direct me towards the correct tools that would be great. What I would like to be able to do, is within my C app running in win95/98, I would like to connect to a given HTTP site and download a file from it. (FTP is also ok, but less preferable).

: What I would like to know, is:

: a) what library/api do i need to use, and where can I find some documentation on this

: b) links to resources which may help instruct me on the matter

: c) if possible, some example source would be very helpful.

: I have found the following code for downloading from FTP, it was posted on this message board too. I truncated the parameters, however this seems very much what I am looking for, especially if i can change to HTTP instead of FTP. Can anyone tell me what API/library, if any this is using? (ie, what do i need for it in terms of headers etc..)

: hOpen = InternetOpen ("FTP"...);

: hConnect = InternetConnect(...);

: FtpGetFile(...);

:

: Thankyou for taking your time to read this. If you can get back to me with some info it would be great!

Greetings

I Hope I'm understanding the question correctly, I'm pasting a reply from another question on this board I've played with the code and it works for just about everything so it should work for a download.

Stoic Joker

Posted by Justin on November 01, 1999 at 19:05:39:

In Reply to: Opening a browser window posted by Damian (-*-) on November 01,

1999 at 11:08:55:

Did you mean you wanted the web page to open in a completely different window?

If that is the case you would use:

ShellExecute(/*handle_to_your_app_window*/, "open", "the_web_page", NULL, NULL,

SW_SHOWMAXIMIZED);

you will also need to #include shellapi.h

Another interesting thing about this function is it will launch any file, so if

you specified a file on a local drive in the "the_web_page" part, that file

could be launched as well.

Hope this helps,

Justin

• I have not used shell executes much, but i do not believe that this would allow me to specify a directory without the user having to handle it. I may be wrong, and please correct me if I am.

Thanks for the info tho, that will actually help me on another aspect of my proj. thanks for the input.

• : I have not used shell executes much, but i do not believe that this would allow me to specify a directory without the user having to handle it. I may be wrong, and please correct me if I am.

: Thanks for the info tho, that will actually help me on another aspect of my proj. thanks for the input.

Greetings

I just did a quicky compile with a link from my website & yes it works fine. I used

ShellExecute(0,"open","http://stoicjoker.hypermart.net/DownLoadz/Bad_day.zip",NULL,NULL,SW_SHOWNORMAL);

and it opened IE, setoff the dialer, connected to the net, loaded getright and started downloading, all with one click.

Stoic Joker

• this is good, but is their anyway that i can make it so that the user does not "need to know" it is being downloaded? What I mean by this, is if I am in a full screen application, and I want to download a given file to say the /data directory, and I dont want the user to have to specify where it downloads to or anything. I just want to make it happen behind the scenes so to speak. Can I simply do this by adjusting parameters to that function?

thanks for all the help, this is helping me, so congrats.