Files

I am pretty sure that this is possible, and I remember seeing an example of this somewhere:
How can I access local / remote files with JavaScript?

Any reaction welcome

Thanks.

Comments

• I think it's possible to show user's files, like a Windows Explorer into the page. However, there is *NO* way Javascript can gain real access to user's files (modify, rename, move, etc)

-- Secret_Doom - Leonardo Pignataro --

secret_doom@hotmail.com
    www.batch.hpg.com.br

: I am pretty sure that this is possible, and I remember seeing an example of this somewhere:
    : How can I access local / remote files with JavaScript?
    :
    : Any reaction welcome
    :
    : Thanks.
    :

• I thought I saw an example somewhere a long time ago, that's why I thought maybe I could e.g open a text-file and print the contents to the screen, using JavaScript to put a around it.

But as I found no more examples, I was afraid this wasn't possible. Thanks anyway for the confirmation.

: I think it's possible to show user's files, like a Windows Explorer into the page. However, there is *NO* way Javascript can gain real access to user's files (modify, rename, move, etc)
    :
    : -- Secret_Doom - Leonardo Pignataro --
    :
    : secret_doom@hotmail.com
    : www.batch.hpg.com.br
    :
    : : I am pretty sure that this is possible, and I remember seeing an example of this somewhere:
    : : How can I access local / remote files with JavaScript?
    : :
    : : Any reaction welcome
    : : Thanks.
    :
    :

• I was a little bit radical on my last post. I should have said "AS FAR AS I KNOW, there's *NO* way Javascript can gain real access..."

This means that I still think it's not possible (I'm still sure), but (of course!) I could be wrong!

I think (now THIS is pretty much a guess!) that ActiveX can gain access to local files.

-- Secret_Doom - Leonardo Pignataro --

secret_doom@hotmail.com
    www.batch.hpg.com.br

: I thought I saw an example somewhere a long time ago, that's why I thought maybe I could e.g open a text-file and print the contents to the screen, using JavaScript to put a around it.
    :
    : But as I found no more examples, I was afraid this wasn't possible. Thanks anyway for the confirmation.
    :
    : : I think it's possible to show user's files, like a Windows Explorer into the page. However, there is *NO* way Javascript can gain real access to user's files (modify, rename, move, etc)
    : : -- Secret_Doom - Leonardo Pignataro --
    : : secret_doom@hotmail.com
    : : www.batch.hpg.com.br
    : : : I am pretty sure that this is possible, and I remember seeing an example of this somewhere:
    : : : How can I access local / remote files with JavaScript?
    : : :
    : : : Any reaction welcome
    : : : Thanks.
    :
    :

• Well, no problem. The best way to do it is with CGI (Perl) anyway, only my webserver doesn't allow me to run CGI-scripts. That's why I wanted to know.

Thanks again for your help.

: I was a little bit radical on my last post. I should have said "AS FAR AS I KNOW, there's *NO* way Javascript can gain real access..."
    :
    : This means that I still think it's not possible (I'm still sure), but (of course!) I could be wrong!
    :
    : I think (now THIS is pretty much a guess!) that ActiveX can gain access to local files.
    :
    : -- Secret_Doom - Leonardo Pignataro --
    :
    : secret_doom@hotmail.com
    : www.batch.hpg.com.br
    :
    : : I thought I saw an example somewhere a long time ago, that's why I thought maybe I could e.g open a text-file and print the contents to the screen, using JavaScript to put a around it.
    : : But as I found no more examples, I was afraid this wasn't possible. Thanks anyway for the confirmation.
    : : : I think it's possible to show user's files, like a Windows Explorer into the page. However, there is *NO* way Javascript can gain real access to user's files (modify, rename, move, etc)
    : : : -- Secret_Doom - Leonardo Pignataro --
    : : : secret_doom@hotmail.com
    : : : www.batch.hpg.com.br
    : : : : I am pretty sure that this is possible, and I remember seeing an example of this somewhere:
    : : : : How can I access local / remote files with JavaScript?
    : : : :
    : : : : Any reaction welcome
    : : : : Thanks.
    :
    :