How can I manually find a DLL and add it?

I created a project using the Project and Development Wizard and it supposedely installed all DLL's required. It works fine on my computer but I already have all of the DLL's in my system. When I tried it over a friend's house it gave me a missing DLL error. I know you can add stuff during the installation program but I'm wondering where can I find the DLL's I would need? Also is there a way that I can set it up so a program won't work if the DLL isn't in the folder. For error testing. I wouldn't have known it didn't if I didn't have my sister's computer to test it on.

Comments

• : I created a project using the Project and Development Wizard and it supposedely installed all DLL's required. It works fine on my computer but I already have all of the DLL's in my system. When I tried it over a friend's house it gave me a missing DLL error. I know you can add stuff during the installation program but I'm wondering where can I find the DLL's I would need? Also is there a way that I can set it up so a program won't work if the DLL isn't in the folder. For error testing. I wouldn't have known it didn't if I didn't have my sister's computer to test it on.
    :

That's always a "fun" part of deploying projects. For some of the dlls, you just have to know what you need and include them manually. If you Declare a function, you'll need that dll. Referenced dlls will always be included, but non-referenced dlls loaded using CreateObject will not be included.

When looking for a dll, Windows checks the app's folder, the windows folder and the windowssystem folder. It might also check the path, but I'm not certain of that. To attempt to force it to use a specific dll, add the path in the declare function:

... Lib "C:MyApp's FolderMyLib.dll" ...

I don't know if that will work, but it's worth a shot.

I like to have a system with nothing but a clean, stripped (no optional components) copy of windows running on it. This pretty much garauntees that if it works there, it will work everywhere.

Sometimes, you can say "I use [insert component] in my project, what dlls does it require?" and someone here can tell you.

Good luck!
  • if this is a custom dll, u might wanna include the classes, forms, etc. into ur proj. this will make ur prog universal
    [b][green]Koozime![/green][/b]