In English?

Hi,

I've got a site. It uses frames. The bottom frame has two buttons, one to change the language of the site to english, one to change it to Italian. The right frame holds a list of places, the places are links that will display in the main frame. I have two versions of the list, one in Italian, one in English. I also have two versions of each places site. When you click the language button on the bottom frame, the right frame loads that language list.

What he wants is this: When the language button is clicked, he wants both the right frame and main frame to changes to their equivilant page in the selected language.
The bottom frame remains the same all the time.

I was thinking of possibilitys, and I made it so from the root directory, all the italian pages are in the directory ita_pages, where as the english pages are in the folder eng_pages. All the equivilant files have the same name but are in the differant directories. This is only a fact that might help.

Is there any easy way to do this?
Or do I have to have a bottom page for each place that links to the right page? If so, how do I load pages into two frames?

Please help
Many Thanks

Hadji
(this is the right board isn't it? if not, which one should I go to?)
----------------------------------------------------
The solution to the problem changes the problem

Comments

• : Hi,
    :
    : I've got a site. It uses frames. The bottom frame has two buttons, one to change the language of the site to english, one to change it to Italian. The right frame holds a list of places, the places are links that will display in the main frame. I have two versions of the list, one in Italian, one in English. I also have two versions of each places site. When you click the language button on the bottom frame, the right frame loads that language list.

: What he wants is this: When the language button is clicked, he wants both the right frame and main frame to changes to their equivilant page in the selected language.
    : The bottom frame remains the same all the time.
    :
    : I was thinking of possibilitys, and I made it so from the root directory, all the italian pages are in the directory ita_pages, where as the english pages are in the folder eng_pages. All the equivilant files have the same name but are in the differant directories. This is only a fact that might help.
    :
    : Is there any easy way to do this?
    : Or do I have to have a bottom page for each place that links to the right page? If so, how do I load pages into two frames?
    :
    : Please help
    : Many Thanks
    :
    : Hadji
    : (this is the right board isn't it? if not, which one should I go to?)
    : ----------------------------------------------------
    : The solution to the problem changes the problem
    :

Make part of the Menu page look like this:
    [code]

function ChangePage() {
    var page = NameOfFrame.location;

// I've never used string functions before, so this will be just a description :-)
    // page will be something like "http://www.myserver.com/eng_pages/page.html"
    // You need to strip the "http://www.myserver.com/eng_pages/" part
    // and put the other language dir in its place,
    // and then change the location

NameOfFrame.location = newpage
    }

[/code]
  • : : Hi,
    : :
    : : I've got a site. It uses frames. The bottom frame has two buttons, one to change the language of the site to english, one to change it to Italian. The right frame holds a list of places, the places are links that will display in the main frame. I have two versions of the list, one in Italian, one in English. I also have two versions of each places site. When you click the language button on the bottom frame, the right frame loads that language list.

: : What he wants is this: When the language button is clicked, he wants both the right frame and main frame to changes to their equivilant page in the selected language.
    : : The bottom frame remains the same all the time.
    : : I was thinking of possibilitys, and I made it so from the root directory, all the italian pages are in the directory ita_pages, where as the english pages are in the folder eng_pages. All the equivilant files have the same name but are in the differant directories. This is only a fact that might help.
    : : Is there any easy way to do this?
    : : Or do I have to have a bottom page for each place that links to the right page? If so, how do I load pages into two frames?
    : : Please help
    : : Many Thanks
    : : Hadji
    : : (this is the right board isn't it? if not, which one should I go to?)
    : : ----------------------------------------------------
    : : The solution to the problem changes the problem
    :
    : Make part of the Menu page look like this:
    : [code]
    : ...
    :
    : function ChangePage() {
    : var page = NameOfFrame.location;
    :
    : // I've never used string functions before, so this will be just a description :-)
    : // page will be something like "http://www.myserver.com/eng_pages/page.html"
    : // You need to strip the "http://www.myserver.com/eng_pages/" part
    : // and put the other language dir in its place,
    : // and then change the location
    :
    : NameOfFrame.location = newpage
    : }
    :
    :
    :
    : ...
    : [/code]

Looks good, but I'm stupid, so...
    What is held by NameOfFrame and newpage?
    does it automaticaly update the frame specified when the code is ran?
    And does anyone know what I should put in the middle? even a rough idea of the commands? I'm a beginner at javascript, I have programmed, just not for the web.

Thanks

Hadji

----------------------------------------------------
    The solution to the problem changes the problem