Problem with 'xwindows'

[b][red]This message was edited by the DaRK_InSTaLL at 2002-3-7 13:15:28[/red][/b][hr]
I have linux redhat 7.0 , when i write 'startx' it tries to start xwindows, but an error appears, it says "no screens found", does this mean that there is a problem with my card's drivers? (hercules geforce 2 MX) I have tried to config my card from 'Xconfiguration' or 'setup' and when i test the setings it says "xserver not found", I have enabled all the services available, but still nothing, i have downloaded new drivers for my card but it got too confusing with all the different versions or something like that, of linux. I have also formated and reinstalled but still nothing. HELP!!

Oh.. and something else I don't have 'gcc' to compile my programs with, is this possible? Some people just don't believe me.

Comments

• : [b][red]This message was edited by the DaRK_InSTaLL at 2002-3-7 13:15:28[/red][/b][hr]
    : I have linux redhat 7.0 , when i write 'startx' it tries to start xwindows, but an error appears, it says "no screens found", does this mean that there is a problem with my card's drivers? (hercules geforce 2 MX) I have tried to config my card from 'Xconfiguration' or 'setup' and when i test the setings it says "xserver not found", I have enabled all the services available, but still nothing, i have downloaded new drivers for my card but it got too confusing with all the different versions or something like that, of linux. I have also formated and reinstalled but still nothing. HELP!!
    :
    : Oh.. and something else I don't have 'gcc' to compile my programs with, is this possible? Some people just don't believe me.
    :
    :
    :

Yes thats possible. Install the development libraries and you will get gcc.

Regarding nvidia - get the NVInstall.sh script from the nvidia site. Run it and it will tell you which
    files to download.