darn part names! all to much for a newbie like me :)

not that im complaining or anything, but Im trying to find a specific part, Ive got no Idea what to call it or if it even exist, so ill just tell ya what im looking for and if you know what Im talking about please tell me what to look for!:)

basically what I need is some sort of switch that compleates a seprate circut of a diffrent voltage.

(EG Ive got a small current, say about.. 2V, what I need that small current to do is run through a device that compleates a seprate but larger current, say about 12V+.

one way I thought about doing this was to build a simple electromagnet, when the smaller current runs through that, it would pull a lever of sorts into a position that compleates another circut, when the smaller current stops flowing, the switch would return and the larger current would stop

if there is a part that does this, what would it be called and where can I find it?

thanks!

Comments

• : not that im complaining or anything, but Im trying to find a specific part, Ive got no Idea what to call it or if it even exist, so ill just tell ya what im looking for and if you know what Im talking about please tell me what to look for!:)
    :
    : basically what I need is some sort of switch that compleates a seprate circut of a diffrent voltage.
    :
    : (EG Ive got a small current, say about.. 2V, what I need that small current to do is run through a device that compleates a seprate but larger current, say about 12V+.
    :
    : one way I thought about doing this was to build a simple electromagnet, when the smaller current runs through that, it would pull a lever of sorts into a position that compleates another circut, when the smaller current stops flowing, the switch would return and the larger current would stop
    :
    : if there is a part that does this, what would it be called and where can I find it?
    :
    : thanks!
    :

John! What a fantastic idea! I tell you this electromagnet/lever device thing is a winner! It fills the gap that has existed since Benny Franklin!! You're going to make a fortune off this thing!

But what will you call it?? A "Circuit completor"?? How about a "Current Increaser"?? We could call it a "john" but that name is already used for another very important device.

Have fun!

rg

• >>John! What a fantastic idea! I tell you this electromagnet/lever device thing is a winner! It fills the gap that has existed since Benny Franklin!! You're going to make a fortune off this thing!

But what will you call it?? A "Circuit completor"?? How about a "Current Increaser"?? We could call it a "john" but that name is already used for another very important device.

Have fun!

rg<<

hehehe, I thought It was a winner myself until I read that it does actually exist, they are called "relay" switches, they work EXACTLY the way I thought they should. I am happy I dont have to build 50 of them, but at the same time Im sad that I didnt actually invent them :)

ah well, hehe :)

• : if there is a part that does this, what would it be called and where can I find it?
    :
    : thanks!

This is just a guess (you say your a newbie so I supose you will accept any basic guess). Are you thinking of a transistor?

It acts as a type of switch.

Hope that's what you were looking for.

[italic][blue]-- Spida.[/blue][/italic]

• : : if there is a part that does this, what would it be called and where can I find it?
    : :
    : : thanks!
    :
    : This is just a guess (you say your a newbie so I supose you will accept any basic guess). Are you thinking of a transistor?
    :
    : It acts as a type of switch.
    :
    : Hope that's what you were looking for.
    :
    : [italic][blue]-- Spida.[/blue][/italic]
    :
    :
    It's great to see people still interested in basic electronics. Another option for your circuit is an "Opto-Coupler". The ideal option depeneds on what circuit will be driving this switch, and what it is you are trying to switch.

• What you need is a transistor of any type (unipolar, bipolar) its cheeper than a relay, and looks better.
    (optocoupler is not for that kinda stuff, its just for separating two circuits)

• :
    : What you need is a transistor of any type (unipolar, bipolar) its cheeper than a relay, and looks better.
    : (optocoupler is not for that kinda stuff, its just for separating two circuits)
    :
    :
    I have to agree with you, under the assumption of the secondary circuit being a medium current circuit. However during my apprenticship years one thing I was taught was to NEVER assume anything. Basically what I am saying is that all of the solutions aired here are valid for some kind of circuit.

As an expansion on this response, other possibilities include the FET transistor familys as well.

• : As an expansion on this response, other possibilities include the FET transistor familys as well.

:) Exactly what I said (FAT is an unipolar transistor, my man).

• Hi!
    The device you describe,(with the inductors and so), is normally refered to as a relay.

/Tomas