Selecting a file to open

Okay, I know how to specify a given file to open for reading in data from within the program. For example

Const Fdata$:='C:DataRecords.dat';

What I'm attempting to do is allow the user of the program to browse through their hard drive and the program to then obtain the path and name of file based on the users selection.

In basic I could use Z$=Files$(1)
I need an equivalent function/ability inside of pascal.
Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Sorry about the duplication, received an internal forum error on original submission.

Settun
  • : Okay, I know how to specify a given file to open for reading in data
    : from within the program. For example
    :
    : Const Fdata$:='C:DataRecords.dat';
    :
    :
    : What I'm attempting to do is allow the user of the program to browse
    : through their hard drive and the program to then obtain the path and
    : name of file based on the users selection.
    :
    : In basic I could use Z$=Files$(1)
    : I need an equivalent function/ability inside of pascal.
    : Thoughts?
    :
    : Thanks in advance
    :
    First, I hope you realize that [b]Fdata$[/b] is not a valid Pascal identifier.

Second, I don't know exactly what [b]Files$(1)[/b] does in BASIC. However, there is no one line function in Pascal that is going to allow you to browse the hard drive. You'll have to write one, and it won't be simple. Do you want to go through that much trouble? If so I'll try and show you how.

• Yes I'm afraid I'm going to need some way for the user to be able to select the file through navigating their hard drive.

As to what Files$(1) does, if you've ever used the open command from within a program and you get the nice window with the ability to browse through your disk drives / folders / files to finally find the correct one.

The problem begins with the fact that everyone can install stuff onto their computers in different locations (drives/folders). I'm trying to make the program usable by anyone, and since that is the case it needs to be able to find where the external data file is located.

Thanks,
    Settun
  • :
    [blue]
    : As to what Files$(1) does, if you've ever used the open command from
    : within a program and you get the nice window with the ability to
    : browse through your disk drives / folders / files to finally find
    : the correct one.
    :
    : The problem begins with the fact that everyone can install stuff
    : onto their computers in different locations (drives/folders). I'm
    : trying to make the program usable by anyone, and since that is the
    : case it needs to be able to find where the external data file is
    : located.
    :
    : Thanks,
    : Settun
    :
    [/blue]
    I think what you want would be easier to accomplish with Delphi, not Pascal.