Continual landscape?

SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USA
Alright, I need to figure out a good way to make a large, continual world with my 3D engine. Something along the lines of Oblivion or World of Warcraft. My initial idea was to simply make a huge world and then only send OpenGL data on objects and polygons within a specified distance, but looping through every polygon in a huge world, even on a fast CPU, would destroy performance, so I need something better.

Does anybody have experience with this kind of thing?

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

Comments

• : Alright, I need to figure out a good way to make a large, continual world with my 3D engine. Something along the lines of Oblivion or World of Warcraft. My initial idea was to simply make a huge world and then only send OpenGL data on objects and polygons within a specified distance, but looping through every polygon in a huge world, even on a fast CPU, would destroy performance, so I need something better.
    :
    : Does anybody have experience with this kind of thing?
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    :

Something like making worse quality the further away the poligon is.
    This could maybe be done if you only render every other dot in the poligon, or every other poligon.

The Half life engine (can't remember it's name) is only doing what you are doing and it's very fast.

This is just some brainstorming.
    I haven't written anything that's even interfacing a real 3D engine.
  • What you want to look at is infinite terrain and infinite universe. Its been done many times before.
    An example - http://www.humus.ca/index.php?page=3D&ID=23

Well you could also have sort of a spheredome with normals only facing outwards so that the outside is rendered and could just keep rotating the world(i.e. the spheredome) as you progress into it so that it gives a infinite kind of environment. In a huge world its good to build some kind of a tree which is usually done - for eg octrees for outside landscape, kd-trees, sphere trees or bsp for other kind of situations and render only what is necessary.

: : Alright, I need to figure out a good way to make a large, continual world with my 3D engine. Something along the lines of Oblivion or World of Warcraft. My initial idea was to simply make a huge world and then only send OpenGL data on objects and polygons within a specified distance, but looping through every polygon in a huge world, even on a fast CPU, would destroy performance, so I need something better.
    : :
    : : Does anybody have experience with this kind of thing?
    : : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    :
    : Something like making worse quality the further away the poligon is.
    : This could maybe be done if you only render every other dot in the poligon, or every other poligon.
    :
    : The Half life engine (can't remember it's name) is only doing what you are doing and it's very fast.
    :
    : This is just some brainstorming.
    : I haven't written anything that's even interfacing a real 3D engine.
    :