Debuggin on the GameCube

Debugging on the GameCube

Does anybody know how developers debug on the GC? I've done GBA programming, and whenever you make a change, you have to recompile the entire image. It isn't so bad because you have emulators, but in my job I program on a real-time system and each time you make a change, you have to recompile the entire image, and load the image into the flash via an debug card, which is a painful process. Is is the same on the GC?

Thanks.

Comments

• : Debugging on the GameCube
    :
    : Does anybody know how developers debug on the GC? I've done GBA programming, and whenever you make a change, you have to recompile the entire image. It isn't so bad because you have emulators, but in my job I program on a real-time system and each time you make a change, you have to recompile the entire image, and load the image into the flash via an debug card, which is a painful process. Is is the same on the GC?
    :
    : Thanks.
    :
    Don't you think they have some kind of hardware that gets cable axes to the GC. Shouldn't it be possible to use the port that comunicates with other GCs and connect it to a computer and then interface it so it loads it?

I have no experience of GCs, or any deep knowledge of hardware, but mindstorming is always good. I got a GC though :-)
  • Would they upload the entire image? Or is there something like shared objects that allows realtime debugging?

• : Would they upload the entire image? Or is there something like shared objects that allows realtime debugging?
    :
    :
    I have no idea. What I thought you could do was to make a program on the GC to interface throu the cable with a program on your computer that could transfer the image. That way, you don't have to use a flash or anything.

If you make it good, you could simply run two commands, like:
    gcc idk
    transferToGC a.out

If gcc was your compiler, wich I don't think.
  • : I have no idea. What I thought you could do was to make a program on the GC to interface throu the cable with a program on your computer that could transfer the image. That way, you don't have to use a flash or anything.
    :
    : If you make it good, you could simply run two commands, like:
    : gcc idk
    : transferToGC a.out
    :
    : If gcc was your compiler, wich I don't think.
    :
    Wouldn't that take a long time? Each time you make a change you have to do transferring?
  • : : I have no idea. What I thought you could do was to make a program on the GC to interface throu the cable with a program on your computer that could transfer the image. That way, you don't have to use a flash or anything.
    : :
    : : If you make it good, you could simply run two commands, like:
    : : gcc idk
    : : transferToGC a.out
    : : If gcc was your compiler, wich I don't think.
    : Wouldn't that take a long time? Each time you make a change you have to do transferring?
    :
    But it's faster and easier than loading it to a flash, and then load it to the GC.