CD-ROM boot disk troubles

I need to know what steps to take to access my CD drive. I formated drive C and it recognizes it and the floppy after booting. The CD drive is an old Matshita CR-585; if this helps. I'm installing Windows 98 on an old computer and need access to this drive.

Does anyone know the exact parameters to enter/edit in the config.sys and autoexec.bat files? This I could easily do on another computer, but I haven't worked with DOS for so long I forgot all the commands and such. I'm not sure which version of DOS is on the old computer, if any. Any experts out there that can solve this for me? It would be much appreciated!

Comments

• I suppose you could copy the win98 CD-ROM contents to the hard drive (it isn't too small is it ;-)) using another computer then booting either off of a floppy or the hard drive if its still bootable and running setup from the hard drive.
  • I *think* Panasonic massed produced that drive, but try looking at http://www.drivermuseum.com/files/drivers/cdrom_d.html as they seem to have a real mode setup utility. If that doesn't work and you've got access to a win 9x machine, then try making an emergency boot disk since it will have a generic driver that should work in dos.

You could try booting from the cdrom itself as well by setting the boot order in the bios if it has such as feature.

Like you, it's been a long time since my dos days, but for a basic setup, I *think* the two files go as

config.sys

device=path_to_driverdriver_name.sys /D:xxxx

autoexec.bat

path_to_mscdex.exe /D:xxxx

Where xxxx can be just about anything as long as they match in both files.

: I need to know what steps to take to access my CD drive. I formated drive C and it recognizes it and the floppy after booting. The CD drive is an old Matshita CR-585; if this helps. I'm installing Windows 98 on an old computer and need access to this drive.
    :
    : Does anyone know the exact parameters to enter/edit in the config.sys and autoexec.bat files? This I could easily do on another computer, but I haven't worked with DOS for so long I forgot all the commands and such. I'm not sure which version of DOS is on the old computer, if any. Any experts out there that can solve this for me? It would be much appreciated!
    :