CD Writer Not Detected in Red Hat Linux

Hello
I have installed a new Samsung CD Writer in my computer. I have Windows 98 and Red Hat Linux 7.1 in a dual boot environment. Can I burn CD's from Linux because the hardware configuration utility Kudzu has not detected the new CD writer. If yes please tell me

Thanks
Rohit

Comments

• : Hello
    : I have installed a new Samsung CD Writer in my computer. I have Windows 98 and Red Hat Linux 7.1 in a dual boot environment. Can I burn CD's from Linux because the hardware configuration utility Kudzu has not detected the new CD writer. If yes please tell me
    :
    : Thanks
    : Rohit
    :

Yes it's possible. Just because the hardware configuration tool has not detected it does not mean that you cannot use it. All it means is that you will have to manually configure the CD-RW. Since you are using version 7.1 it is more than likely that there are not drivers included with your linux distro. You can try and find the drivers on the internet, or (a better solution) upgrade the 7.1 to something more recent which will allow the drive to be detected (it will also give you a much nicer user experience).

You may also have to tell the file system about the drive manually this can be set in the configuration file /etc/fstab which tells linux about the filing system. Add a new entry into that file for your CD-RW and the system will be able to detect the drive.

If you are unsure how to add an entry then then I think that there is a manual page available for it.

Hope this helps,

ITA
    "Let us smite the evil slime eating hordes who may befall us on our quest to be the ultimate programmers of the known universe!"

• : : Hello
    : : I have installed a new Samsung CD Writer in my computer. I have Windows 98 and Red Hat Linux 7.1 in a dual boot environment. Can I burn CD's from Linux because the hardware configuration utility Kudzu has not detected the new CD writer. If yes please tell me
    : :
    : : Thanks
    : : Rohit
    : :
    :
    : Yes it's possible. Just because the hardware configuration tool has not detected it does not mean that you cannot use it. All it means is that you will have to manually configure the CD-RW. Since you are using version 7.1 it is more than likely that there are not drivers included with your linux distro. You can try and find the drivers on the internet, or (a better solution) upgrade the 7.1 to something more recent which will allow the drive to be detected (it will also give you a much nicer user experience).
    :
    : You may also have to tell the file system about the drive manually this can be set in the configuration file /etc/fstab which tells linux about the filing system. Add a new entry into that file for your CD-RW and the system will be able to detect the drive.
    :
    : If you are unsure how to add an entry then then I think that there is a manual page available for it.
    :
    : Hope this helps,
    :
    : ITA
    : "Let us smite the evil slime eating hordes who may befall us on our quest to be the ultimate programmers of the known universe!"
    : Thanks a lot. It really helps when people reply
    Rohit
    :