deleted windows and need to re-install

Pls help I have deleted windows in dos as I wanted to wipe a hard drive and install a new operating system (it made sense at the time) The A & CD rom drives are not working and I am stuffed. I have tried to change the startup drive in the bios system but it won't let me. How can I get the operating system onto the computer using dos commands. Please help

Caroline

Comments

• : Pls help I have deleted windows in dos as I wanted to wipe a hard drive and install a new operating system (it made sense at the time) The A & CD rom drives are not working and I am stuffed. I have tried to change the startup drive in the bios system but it won't let me. How can I get the operating system onto the computer using dos commands. Please help
    :
    : Caroline
    :

Since you do not have access to either the CD-ROM or floppy disk drives then there are basically two options left: attempt to install an OS over a network connection. Or alternatively open up the PC, and install a crummy old HD which will allow the computer to start up. Once the computer had booted into the old HD then you can use the OS which is on the old HD to fix the HD which is broken - the old HD can be used to enable to the CDROM and floppy drives again, which will allow a fresh install.

hope this helps,

ITA

ps - I don't know if Windows allows a network install, Linux definitely does.

"Let us smite the evil slime eating hordes who may befall us on our quest to be the ultimate programmers of the known universe!"

• : : Pls help I have deleted windows in dos as I wanted to wipe a hard drive and install a new operating system (it made sense at the time) The A & CD rom drives are not working and I am stuffed. I have tried to change the startup drive in the bios system but it won't let me. How can I get the operating system onto the computer using dos commands. Please help
    : :
    : : Caroline
    :
    : Since you do not have access to either the CD-ROM or floppy disk drives then there are basically two options left: attempt to install an OS over a network connection. Or alternatively open up the PC, and install a crummy old HD which will allow the computer to start up. Once the computer had booted into the old HD then you can use the OS which is on the old HD to fix the HD which is broken - the old HD can be used to enable to the CDROM and floppy drives again, which will allow a fresh install.
    :
    : hope this helps,
    :
    : ITA
    :
    : ps - I don't know if Windows allows a network install, Linux definitely does.
    :
    :
    :
    : "Let us smite the evil slime eating hordes who may befall us on our quest to be the ultimate programmers of the known universe!"
    :
    :
    There may yet be a way to access the CD-ROM or floppy drive. When your computer boots up enter setup, change the order of boot so it reads the CD-ROM or Floppy before the hard drive, then put the OS installation disk in and reboot your computer, it should boot from the OS install disk hence installing the operating system. If this dose not work try it again make sure you save the changes to setup. if it still dosent work then your problem gose farther then my knowlage.

-Margalo ;-)
  • : : : Pls help I have deleted windows in dos as I wanted to wipe a hard drive and install a new operating system (it made sense at the time) The A & CD rom drives are not working and I am stuffed. I have tried to change the startup drive in the bios system but it won't let me. How can I get the operating system onto the computer using dos commands. Please help
    : : :
    : : : Caroline
    : : :
    : : Since you do not have access to either the CD-ROM or floppy disk drives then there are basically two options left: attempt to install an OS over a network connection. Or alternatively open up the PC, and install a crummy old HD which will allow the computer to start up. Once the computer had booted into the old HD then you can use the OS which is on the old HD to fix the HD which is broken - the old HD can be used to enable to the CDROM and floppy drives again, which will allow a fresh install.
    : : hope this helps,
    : : ITA
    : : ps - I don't know if Windows allows a network install, Linux definitely does.
    : : "Let us smite the evil slime eating hordes who may befall us on our quest to be the ultimate programmers of the known universe!"
    : There may yet be a way to access the CD-ROM or floppy drive. When your computer boots up enter setup, change the order of boot so it reads the CD-ROM or Floppy before the hard drive, then put the OS installation disk in and reboot your computer, it should boot from the OS install disk hence installing the operating system. If this dose not work try it again make sure you save the changes to setup. if it still dosent work then your problem gose farther then my knowlage.
    :
    : -Margalo ;-)
    :
    Oh sorry forgot one thing, to change the boot order you will need to enter BIOS settings.
    once again hope it works

-Margalo ;-)