Creating a Java MUD

I'm trying to create a MUD, anyone know any good tutorial sites to help me? I really need help bad, and don't know where to begin. What do I need and to buy. thanks

Comments

• Hey Germanicus,
    I can't help too much with the acutal MUD code, but if you're starting from complete ground zero, I can recommend a few tips.

1) You don't need to buy anything, in terms of a compiler, etc. You can download the latest version of Java from www.java.sun.com. You can also get a good development tool from www.netbeans.com (Eclipse is another one that many people like). If those are too complex to start with, you can get a good starting tool from www.bluej.org.

2) You can find a good tutorial on java client/server code at www.java.sun.com. That will probably prove invaluable when it comes time to write your network code.

3) If you're a complete beginner to Java and Java game programming, you might check out the tutorials www.sleepinggiantsoftware.com/FGJ. They're not directly related to MUDs, but they talk about basic application frameworks, text, graphics, and sound.

Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress.

Kreitler

: I'm trying to create a MUD, anyone know any good tutorial sites to help me? I really need help bad, and don't know where to begin. What do I need and to buy. thanks
    :

• Look http://pain.sf.net
    This is open source java mud codebase