OPENGL

Is there any one here that is interested in or using the OPENGL graphics library? If so post a message and let's discuss the subject.
I hope I'm not the only person using it.

Comments

• : Is there any one here that is interested in or using the OPENGL graphics library? If so post a message and let's discuss the subject.
    : I hope I'm not the only person using it.
    :
    :
    I currently use it, the moderator of this board uses it. There are many here who use it.

• : : Is there any one here that is interested in or using the OPENGL graphics library? If so post a message and let's discuss the subject.
    : : I hope I'm not the only person using it.
    : :
    : I currently use it, the moderator of this board uses it. There are many here who use it.
    :
    :
    Ok, I'll mark that as 3 confirmed users (on this site) so far.
    I was hoping to find enough people here to warrent an OPENGL board. I just got into learning it a few weeks ago and would like to learn all I can.
    I have no dreams of making any earth shattering programs, I'm just a knowledge junkie (too much time on my hands).
    If you know of any good sites, articles, programs or tuts let me know.
    Thanks

• : : : Is there any one here that is interested in or using the OPENGL graphics library? If so post a message and let's discuss the subject.
    : : : I hope I'm not the only person using it.

Count me in too, but only as a beginner...

: I have no dreams of making any earth shattering programs, I'm just a knowledge junkie (too much time on my hands).
    : If you know of any good sites, articles, programs or tuts let me know.

Try this one:
    http://nehe.gamedev.net/

I'm currently doing the tutorial on the site.
  • I just started on it 3 week ago, but I already have a lot of experience with 3D(AUTOCAD), ALLEGRO, DirectX and I'm moving along quickly.
    I think I've just about got every thing worth getting (over 400 megs) on the web.
    What do you think about a message board just for OPENGL/glut?
    If I get at least 5 or 6 people that are interested I'll set it up.
    How much C experience do you have and what compiler do you use?
    What are your goals for using it?

• : What do you think about a message board just for OPENGL/glut?

Great, but they already exist... http://www.opengl.org/developers/forums/
    So...

: If I get at least 5 or 6 people that are interested I'll set it up.
    : How much C experience do you have and what compiler do you use?

Not any C, but I'm beginning to do C++ well. I'm using both VC++ and Dev-C++.

: What are your goals for using it?

None...yet
  • : : What do you think about a message board just for OPENGL/glut?
    :
    : Great, but they already exist... http://www.opengl.org/developers/forums/
    : So...
    :
    : : If I get at least 5 or 6 people that are interested I'll set it up.
    : : How much C experience do you have and what compiler do you use?
    :
    : Not any C, but I'm beginning to do C++ well. I'm using both VC++ and Dev-C++.
    :
    : : What are your goals for using it?
    :
    : None...yet
    :
    I was speaking of on this site. I kinda thought that was obvious.

How can you learn C++ and not know any C? C++ is just an extention of C, created to give programmers more headaches. When you write a program in C++, 95% of it IS C.
    Keep at, you'll get there.

• : How can you learn C++ and not know any C? C++ is just an extention of C, created to give programmers more headaches. When you write a program in C++, 95% of it IS C.
    : Keep at, you'll get there.
    :
    :
    :

C++ is not 95% C. Also C is not mandatory to learn C++. C++ is C with classes is just a misconception.
  • : : How can you learn C++ and not know any C? C++ is just an extention of C, created to give programmers more headaches. When you write a program in C++, 95% of it IS C.
    : : Keep at, you'll get there.
    :
    : C++ is not 95% C. Also C is not mandatory to learn C++. C++ is C with classes is just a misconception.
    :
    OK, write me a C++ program without any C in it.

• : Is there any one here that is interested in or using the OPENGL graphics library? If so post a message and let's discuss the subject.
    : I hope I'm not the only person using it.

I am! Though only a beginner mind. What do you think of it?
  • : : Is there any one here that is interested in or using the OPENGL graphics library? If so post a message and let's discuss the subject.
    : : I hope I'm not the only person using it.
    :
    : I am! Though only a beginner mind. What do you think of it?
    :
    Great! Well I got into it 3 weeks ago and I'm trilled with it. I have collected over 400 megs of related stuff. I had to write a PCXloader and a (ascii 3ds) loader to import images though. It seems the SGI rgb format is the supported image format.
    I was working with ALLEGRO until I saw it's limitations and the possablities of OPENGL. I have be able to do so much more and quicker than I could with ALLEGRO.
    Fortunetly I have AUTOcad 2002 experience with 3D, which made the learning curve alot easyer.
    My email is etlusk@woodstock.com if you want to share info or duscuss problems.

• millions use or have used it ... unlike D3D ;) (Sure it's true).

• : How can you learn C++ and not know any C? C++ is just an extention of C, created to give programmers more headaches. When you write a program

Not really true.. C++ is a language in itself. Yes it is almost the same as C but no it is not just an extension of the language.. And it is quite possible to learn C++ without knowing C. Knowing C does help you memorize the command options and the syntaxs in C++ but you don't really need it since the syntax is quite easy to learn (as you would know) and the commands are quite easy to memorize as well..
  • You can't put it that way.. C and C++ are not the same langauges... C++ is built on C but it is not C. Just like C is not the language it was built on
  • [b][red]This message was edited by the etlusk at 2002-7-1 7:55:47[/red][/b][hr]
    :
    : : How can you learn C++ and not know any C? C++ is just an extention of C, created to give programmers more headaches. When you write a program
    :
    : Not really true.. C++ is a language in itself. Yes it is almost the same as C but no it is not just an extension of the language.. And it is quite possible to learn C++ without knowing C. Knowing C does help you memorize the command options and the syntaxs in C++ but you don't really need it since the syntax is quite easy to learn (as you would know) and the commands are quite easy to memorize as well..
    :
    To me, that sounds a little fishy. When I first started with C, C++ did not exist. So when it(C++) came along it was only natural for it to be viewed as an extention to C because that is what it was described as. And OOPS was to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

After programming with CLASSes for a while I soon realized all I was really doing was typing alot (a whole lot) more code for the same outcome. Now-a-days, I don't even concider using CLASSes and I have found a lot of programmers feel the same.
    And most don't use cout<< streams.
    But to each his own.
    And I'm still waiting for some 'expert' programmer to write me a C++ program without any C in it. I'd really like to learn how to program in C++ without knowing C.
    nuff said!

• That's what I call LOD coding, beeing able to mix different styles of code. Some experienced programmers in video games consider it more and more. OOP should be used only in high level programming like AI in games or maybe the highest level of a 3D renderer, scene management.

The functionnal interface of OpenGL was proven more efficient, scalable and platform independant than D3D. COM interface is a decision that was mainly taken by Microsoft to have an overall coherency with he MFC and Windows components.

I consider C++ only as a specialization of C to OOP. Programming at a lower level sometimes enables more reusable and flexible interfaces. Anyway OOP can be done in C too, without some preprocessing mechanisms though.

There is always an option to encapsulate a C lib into C++ classes, using inline methods calling C routines for instance. This can be done more efficiently by the library user who is more able to see the Object graph required and how to manage memory.