converting a number to a string - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

converting a number to a string

In C on a Macintosh I used to call a function, NumToString(), to convert a long number to a string, so that I could include calculated numbers on buttons. I am trying to learn Windows XP and it is so different.

Does anyone know how to convert numbers to strings or should I get my head down and do the work myself?

Comments

• GiantGiant Posts: 225Member

Hi.
    Windows XP is a operating system, not a programming language. I am presuming that you are learning Visual C++, whcih is running on XP.
    If this is the case try using itoa() "int_to_ascii"to convert ints to an ascii string or atoi() "ascii_to_int" to to the oposite.

The Giant
    Member of the Stupid Coders
    http://www.stupidcoders.cjb.net

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

• Bob SomervilleBob Somerville Posts: 13Member
    :
    :
    : Hi.
    : Windows XP is a operating system, not a programming language. I am presuming that you are learning Visual C++, whcih is running on XP.
    : If this is the case try using itoa() "int_to_ascii"to convert ints to an ascii string or atoi() "ascii_to_int" to to the oposite.
    :
    :
    :
    : The Giant
    : Member of the Stupid Coders
    : http://www.stupidcoders.cjb.net
    :
    : "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein
    :
    :

• Bob SomervilleBob Somerville Posts: 13Member
    : :
    : : Hi.
    : : Windows XP is a operating system, not a programming language. I am presuming that you are learning Visual C++, whcih is running on XP.
    : : If this is the case try using itoa() "int_to_ascii"to convert ints to an ascii string or atoi() "ascii_to_int" to to the oposite.
    : : The Giant
    : : Member of the Stupid Coders
    : : http://www.stupidcoders.cjb.net
    : : "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein
    : Hi,

I seem to have re-posted your reply instead of replying to you and I may even be doing that again - sorry - just a beginner.

I used to write in C on a Mac and I am using Codewarrior to write in C on a PC running Windows XP. I could try learning C++ on my new PC but I think that converting from Mac to Windows is hard enough for me without learning a new language as well.

Perhaps itoa() will work in C?? I can investigate when I get home.

Thanks,

Bob
    :

• Eric TetzEric Tetz Posts: 2,141Member
    : Does anyone know how to convert numbers to strings or should I get my head down and do the work myself?
    [code=ffffff]
    [color=000080]int[/color] num = [color=bb0000]1234[/color];
    [color=000080]char[/color] str[[color=bb0000]25[/color]];
    sprintf(str, [color=bb0000]"[/color][color=907050]%d[/color][color=bb0000]"[/color], num);
    [/code]
    Cheers,
    Eric