Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Find and count spaces in a string of chars..

big_edbig_ed Posts: 14Member
I am trying to to get this program to find and count the spaces in a string of characters and display the count.
I am not sure of my codes and the error message that I got seems a little bit strange. Can anyone look at my codes and give me some pointers.
Thank you
My os is VC++ ver. 6.0, I have a desktop using win 2k.
=================
My codes and the returned errors.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
#include
#include
using namespace std;

// not used --->char locate_blank(char *);

char line[] = "This is a string test. It contains two sentence.";

int main()
{
int count;
cout << "The original sentence is : " << line;

for (count = 0; line[count]= ''; count++)
{
if (line[count] == ' ')
{
line[count+1] = ' ';
break;
}
return count;
}
cout << "This sentence contains" << count(line) << "blanks";
}

/* Error list
------Configuration: findBlanks#2 - Win32 Debug-------
Compiling...
findBlanks#2.cpp
C:DocumentsDesktopfindBlanks#2.cpp(23) : error C2064: term does not evaluate to a function
Error executing cl.exe.

findBlanks#2.obj - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=

Comments

• LopezLopez Posts: 75Member
    : #include
    : #include
    : using namespace std;
    :
    : // not used --->char locate_blank(char *);
    :
    : char line[] = "This is a string test. It contains two sentence.";
    :
    : int main()
    : {
    : int count;
    : cout << "The original sentence is : " << line;
    :
    : for (count = 0; line[count]= ''; count++)
    : if (line[count] == ' ')
    : line[count+1] = ' ';
    : break;
    : }
    : return count;
    : cout << "This sentence contains" << count(line) << "blanks";

A few things,

the line [code] for (count = 0; line[count]= ''; count++) [/code] you have put line[count]= '' instead of a double ==, sould be line[count]== ''

You also need another variable to actually count the amount of spaces in the text. You are trying to re-use count, which is what you are using as a pointer to count through your text. Also you've put a single = again.

The error message you're getting, is probably because you also have the code [code]cout << "This sentence contains" << count(line) << "blanks";
    }[/code] outside of function main()

I don't think you need break; in an if statement. This may be causing trouble, as it could be breaking out of the for loop as soon as it find one space.

Hope this helps.
  • FelixFelix Posts: 438Member
    : the line [code] for (count = 0; line[count]= ''; count++) [/code] you have put line[count]= '' instead of a double ==, sould be line[count]== ''
    [code]
    line[count]!= ''
    [/code]

---
    [b]edx[/b] - Member of [blue][b]CodeForce[/b][/blue] (http://codeforce.d2g.com)

• OptiKronOptiKron Posts: 21Member
    whoou what a mess ;)
    Let's check everything :)
    : char line[] = "This is a string test. It contains two sentence.";
    :
    : int main()
    : int count;
    : cout << "The original sentence is : " << line;
    :
    : for (count = 0; line[count]= ''; count++)
    The other guys noticed the fault but they were wrong about one thing : it isn't '==' that you should put but '!=', othewise, the loop will go nowhere and will even crash if line was empty :) so the correct line is :
    for (count = 0; line[count] != ''; count++)

: if (line[count] == ' ')
    : line[count+1] = ' ';
    errr now i don't follow you. I don't understand what you are doing here. you want to count the number of blank space right? So why do you CHANGE your string? Why do you add a blank space just after you found one???? Be sure it will crash, you'll get out of the array if there is only one ' ' in the string :)
    : break;
    : return count;
    : cout << "This sentence contains" << count(line) << "blanks";
    Now that's what the error the compiler gives you. The problematic thing is 'count(line)'. It doesn't mean anything. count is a variable, not a function.

Here is how i would solve your problem :

int main()
    {
    int i,count;
    count = 0;
    for( i = 0; line[i] != ''; i++ )
    {
    if( line[i] == ' ' )
    count++;
    }
    cout << "This sentence contains" << count << "blanks";
    }

You see, we go through the string thx to the var 'i' then, everytime we find a blank space, we just increase the var 'count'.

Hope it helps :)