Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Missing registry, bad FAT

So, as it has been prone to doing, my tired 486 locked up hard during an online session. After a cold boot (the usual cure), windows failed to load...couldn't find the registry. I looked for new or recently modified files on the root, etc. (and found some. User.dat and user.da0 were among these).
Scandisk says the FAT is corrupt...that's what I don't get. If the FAT is bad, how am I even getting DOS?
I used MSD to see what was running TSR, and (just poking around), noticed one with a greek name, so I used DEBUG to look at it. Among the readable text was a reference to FAT12. Now I've heard of FAT16 and FAT32, but I never heard of FAT12. Is there such a thing, or have I found a possible source of my problem?

I'm finally going to be able to justify the expense of a new system, but the old box has some stuff I need to try to recover (although I am not optimistic about my chances).

Any advice?

Comments

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAPosts: 1,035Member
    WOW A 486!!
    Sorry, had to get that out!

Now, there is no FAT12, unless they had something like that on Atari that i am unaware of. Your FATs can go bad and leave you with minor functionality until it totally fails. My dad has gone through three Maxtor drives in one year due to FATs dying. He could get Win95 to the point of the loading screen, where it would stop and the drive access light would go crazy. Another time it would almost get into Win, then the screen would go all blurry and mess up. I told him not to get Maxtor (=0. So anyways, the reference to just a few files may be damaged, but your DOS files may still be accessible.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Posts: 6,519Member
    : WOW A 486!!
    : Sorry, had to get that out!
    :
    : Now, there is no FAT12, unless they had something like that on Atari that i am unaware of. Your FATs can go bad and leave you with minor functionality until it totally fails. My dad has gone through three Maxtor drives in one year due to FATs dying. He could get Win95 to the point of the loading screen, where it would stop and the drive access light would go crazy. Another time it would almost get into Win, then the screen would go all blurry and mess up. I told him not to get Maxtor (=0. So anyways, the reference to just a few files may be damaged, but your DOS files may still be accessible.
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    :
    :
    Have you tried the safe mode boot? If not - press F6 (or F8) after memory check - you will get a screen witn a menu - choose safe mode and see what happens - you maybe lost your screen drivers due to FAT failure... and what is a Maxtor? Never heard of it... get something maybe expensive, but a hard drive you can trust.

If the safe mode also freezes - try to boot from the floppy. If you do not have it shipped with your version of Win95 - make it on somebody else's computer with Win95 on it.