Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Most basic help...

MatthewDMatthewD Member Posts: 297
Hello all,

I've finally decided to make the break and try out Linux and gcc. (I'm a developer on MSVC, so my job will continue to force me to use Windows... for now)

I have no experience with Linux or UNIX.

After reading around a bit, I have decided to go with RedHat. My questions:

1) Is there any reason to not go with RH 7.2? Is 7.1 more stable/better in any way?

2) It looked like to me that I could download the release for free. It seems that the only thing paying $59 gets you is a months worth of internet support. Is there any other reason why I shouldn't download the release? Or is the internet support really worth it?

3) Regarding downloading, what exactly do I need to download (or where can I find more complete instructions)? What about hardware specific drivers?

4) What space requirements do I need for Linux and a windows manager, gcc, and a browerser?

5) Speaking of windows manager, can I download both Gnome and KDE and switch between the two at will?

Thanks for your help. I hope to back again in a few days/weeks with more installation questions.

Matthew.

Comments

• jeffpostjeffpost Member Posts: 316
    : Hello all,
    :
    : I've finally decided to make the break and try out Linux and gcc.

Great!

: (I'm a developer on MSVC, so my job will continue to force me to use Windows... for now)

Life isn't perfect.

:
    : I have no experience with Linux or UNIX.
    :
    : After reading around a bit, I have decided to go with RedHat.

Good choice.

My questions:
    :
    : 1) Is there any reason to not go with RH 7.2? Is 7.1 more stable/better in any way?

I use 7.2. It's the most stable, feature rich distro I've used so far. Go with it.

:
    : 2) It looked like to me that I could download the release for free. It seems that the only thing paying $59 gets you is a months worth of internet support.

Red Hat's internet support, IMHO, is worthless. Paying $59 gets you manuals and CDs. It's worth it. But forget about internet support; you'll get exactly the same access, and help, that anyone logging onto their site gets. I paid $200 for the professional version, and have never gotten a lick of help from them. They basically tell me to go to www.redhat.com and RTFM.

: Is there any other reason why I shouldn't download the release?

Time. It takes a long time to download it all and burn a CD.

: Or is the internet support really worth it?

No, absolutely not.

:
    : 3) Regarding downloading, what exactly do I need to download (or where can I find more complete instructions)? What about hardware specific drivers?

Another reason to buy the CDs. Everything you need is all there.

:
    : 4) What space requirements do I need for Linux and a windows manager, gcc, and a browerser?

Depends on what you want to install. You'll want the development tools, and probably a lot of other stuff. I'd recommend at least 20 GB disk and 64 MB ram (I have 45 GB drive and 128 MB ram). Err on the side of too much, you'll likely want to add stuff later if you don't install it at first.

:
    : 5) Speaking of windows manager, can I download both Gnome and KDE and switch between the two at will?

Yes. But you don't need to download if you get the CD. (FWIW, I prefer KDE.)

:
    : Thanks for your help. I hope to back again in a few days/weeks with more installation questions.

Lots of people will be here to help you.

:
    : Matthew.
    :

• paladinpaladin Member Posts: 97
    My thoughts on this point by point:

: 1) Is there any reason to not go with RH 7.2? Is 7.1 more stable/better in any way?

Generally, all of the distributions use stable kernals. Each distribution brings something different to the table. I too do development work exclusively in LINUX (not sure why ANYONE would want to use MS unless they were developing apps for Bill Gates).

I have a preference for SuSE distributions as I will elaborate below.

: 2) It looked like to me that I could download the release for free. It seems that the only thing paying $59 gets you is a months worth of internet support. Is there any other reason why I shouldn't download the release? Or is the internet support really worth it?

RedHat support may suck as jeffpost has suggested. I know that I have enjoyed immense support assistance from the folks at SuSE. I am using the 7.1 Pro distribution from them and they have been very patient/helpful in working out problems in the past. My problems have been my own lack of command line knowledge more than bugs. Their distribution runs slicker than a Dallas freeway in an ice storm.

: 3) Regarding downloading, what exactly do I need to download (or where can I find more complete instructions)? What about hardware specific drivers?

Unless you are comfortable doing your own partitioning (using something like Partition Magic), I would not do this. Get a distribtion and save yourself the headache.

: 4) What space requirements do I need for Linux and a windows manager, gcc, and a browerser?

If you just want to try it out, a couple of hundred Megs should do nicely.

: 5) Speaking of windows manager, can I download both Gnome and KDE and switch between the two at will?

Yes, although you will find KDE kicks GNOME's hairy ass.

• jeffpostjeffpost Member Posts: 316
    :
    : RedHat support may suck as jeffpost has suggested. I know that I have enjoyed immense support assistance from the folks at SuSE.

Actually, I think SuSE's support sucks also, as does Mandrake's. Maybe I've just been unlucky. But then, with Red Hat I haven't needed much support.

:
    : Yes, although you will find KDE kicks GNOME's hairy ass.
    :

*snicker* I'm inclined to agree ;^)