I've finally decided to make the break and try out Linux and gcc. (I'm a developer on MSVC, so my job will continue to force me to use Windows... for now)
I have no experience with Linux or UNIX.
After reading around a bit, I have decided to go with RedHat. My questions:
1) Is there any reason to not go with RH 7.2? Is 7.1 more stable/better in any way?
2) It looked like to me that I could download the release for free. It seems that the only thing paying $59 gets you is a months worth of internet support. Is there any other reason why I shouldn't download the release? Or is the internet support really worth it?
3) Regarding downloading, what exactly do I need to download (or where can I find more complete instructions)? What about hardware specific drivers?
4) What space requirements do I need for Linux and a windows manager, gcc, and a browerser?
5) Speaking of windows manager, can I download both Gnome and KDE and switch between the two at will?
Thanks for your help. I hope to back again in a few days/weeks with more installation questions.