Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

MORE newbie questions ^_^........

Hi all,

Well, I'm finally taking the plunge and going to install linux on my home system. But, I heard Linux can run Windows programs through an emulator (I think it was called WINE or something). If anybody knows where to get it, could you tell me?

Also, I know there isn't a single BEST linux, but which one do you think will best suit me? I want a nice GUI but also a good complex command line thingy.

See ya laters
(:---Dodgy Del Boy---:)

Comments

• gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    : Hi all,
    :
    : Well, I'm finally taking the plunge and going to install linux on my home system. But, I heard Linux can run Windows programs through an emulator (I think it was called WINE or something). If anybody knows where to get it, could you tell me?
    :

www.google.com <--- search for wine

: Also, I know there isn't a single BEST linux, but which one do you think will best suit me? I want a nice GUI but also a good complex command line thingy.

All major distros have nice gui and complex command line thingies.
  • rehan2k7rehan2k7 Member Posts: 98
    : : Hi all,
    : :
    : : Well, I'm finally taking the plunge and going to install linux on my home system. But, I heard Linux can run Windows programs through an emulator (I think it was called WINE or something). If anybody knows where to get it, could you tell me?
    : :
    :
    : www.google.com <--- search for wine
    :
    :
    : : Also, I know there isn't a single BEST linux, but which one do you think will best suit me? I want a nice GUI but also a good complex command line thingy.
    :
    : All major distros have nice gui and complex command line thingies.
    :

all the linux distros are smame underlining when but when it comes to GUI there are two well known ones KDE and GNOME if you want windows like feel go for gnome which is neat but if it is easibility then KDE is most prefered the most stable linux is redhat but easy to use for windoze lovers is mandrake if you are after everything in one bundle then suse is good for that,
    all the linux distros are same when it comes to command line all
    these top three distros use bash shell

if you really want to get nitty gritty then debian is the choice of command line lovers and as for 'wine' work is undergoing and will last long time the best emulation for windows on linux os is VMWARE it will work almost flawlessly.

if you are buying the distro in a package then you will get both wine and vmware but when you are downloading all the distros pack wine but not vmware due to its commercial package.