Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Poll: MS-DOS Versions

Zell1388Zell1388 Posts: 82Member
This is a simple poll. If you reply, put your version of DOS (because I'm curious). I run a 6.2 which is found on old systems but is better than Windows 9x and up.
2»

Comments

• dalelanedalelane Posts: 3Member
    : This is a simple poll. If you reply, put your version of DOS (because I'm curious). I run a 6.2 which is found on old systems but is better than Windows 9x and up.
    :
    I run Ms-Dos 6.22
    one of 3 diffrent OSs I have on my computer.
  • Dodgy Del BoyDodgy Del Boy Posts: 42Member
    : This is a simple poll. If you reply, put your version of DOS (because I'm curious). I run a 6.2 which is found on old systems but is better than Windows 9x and up.
    :

Hi DOS users!

Having tried numerous versions of DOS, I definitely prefer 6.22 (if you're talking about
    MS-DOS that is). And that comment about Win9x? I couldn't have put it better myself! Windows
    9x sucks! I installed Red Hat Linux 7.0 on my PC a month ago and I'm not going back to
    the crash-reboot-kick PC-crash cycle of Windows. And XP? I don't want to pay 80 for an
    OS that supposedly doesn't work with some hardware/software, looks almost cartoony. I also
    don't want to ask Bill Gates permission to use software I spend my hard-earned cash on
    after reinstalling it.

Well, thats just my $0.02 (or 0.02 in my case)

See ya laters,
    (:---Dodgy Del Boy---:)

• alan_pollockalan_pollock Posts: 110Member
    :

While I don't own copies of all, I have at one time or another used just about all of them (Windows & DOS versions)... my current preference is for Win98SE, and prior to that (for what it is) Windows For Workgroups 3.11

As for DOS, no question it's peak is v6.22... prior to that it's 3.1

Moving away from those - - -

Dec's VMS/DCL is hot... nearly any version

HP's RTE6vm (last of the Real-Time Executive series)... THE hottest, most flexible OS I've ever worked with (in the lab).

Unix... any flavor... nice, but WAY too much overhead

• blipblip Posts: 756Member
    I've got dos 6.22 and win3.1 on a 212MB hard drive, dos 7.1 on two comps w/ win98. I only use winblowz to get online and crash! Geez, even Notepad has bugs (it froze and "didn't respond" on me 3 times in a row)! I guess that's what happens when C++ is used to write an OS...
  • raptorsraptors Posts: 3Member
    Quite intersting all these points of view...

---A newbie wandering
  • Zell1388Zell1388 Posts: 82Member
    : I've got dos 6.22 and win3.1 on a 212MB hard drive, dos 7.1 on two comps w/ win98. I only use winblowz to get online and crash! Geez, even Notepad has bugs (it froze and "didn't respond" on me 3 times in a row)! I guess that's what happens when C++ is used to write an OS...
    :
    Yeah, but it's not all written in C++! It is also written in Assembler, C (which is the same as C++ in this case, but I don't care right now), COBOL, and some other miscellaneous languages that I don't know about. I got that from PC Magazine.

Oh, and, by the way, I noticed something. After around MS-DOS 6.2, Microsoft seems to have decreased in its development. They made it less in file size, but that just gave everything runtime errors (Yes, I'm serious! I can't even set up the Duke 3D Demo on my Win98 machine!). And now, in Windows XP, DOS is completely gone...

~sniffle~
  • Davide VecchiDavide Vecchi Posts: 17Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by the Davide Vecchi at 2002-6-17 3:15:40[/red][/b][hr]
    (Quote)
    [italic]Windows got a bad reputation from the common person who does not know how to tweak registry/system file settings and make it run nicely[/italic]

But Windows is sold to the common persons, so it should work just fine most of times without the need of being a technician, while it really doesn' t; nor it provides real info to the end-user on how to tweak it to make it work.
    It deserves its bad reputation in my opinion.

Poll MS-DOS Versions: DR-DOS 7.03 (not MS), MS-DOS 6.22 less frequently.

• NitroAtomNitroAtom Posts: 12Member
    Where can I get MSDOS 6.2 or 6.22 or whatever anyone feels is the better of the versions(the majority say 6.2?); with all the utilities and everything (I heard it came with an undelete and other stuff).
  • blipblip Posts: 756Member
    I've got DOS 6.22 on one of my computers and with most of the utilities, if not all. I also have the installation disks (some have demagnetized over the years) for DOS 6.22 and Windows for Workgroups 3.1. On the same hard drive, I've also got Windows 3.11. There is one important thing: These'll scramble a FAT32 partition if they think it's FAT16!
  • NitroAtomNitroAtom Posts: 12Member
    : I've got DOS 6.22 on one of my computers and with most of the utilities, if not all. I also have the installation disks (some have demagnetized over the years) for DOS 6.22 and Windows for Workgroups 3.1. On the same hard drive, I've also got Windows 3.11. There is one important thing: These'll scramble a FAT32 partition if they think it's FAT16!
    :

Thats great, do you thing you could upload it somewhere or email it to me? pneumoconi@hotmail.com
2»