Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

installation of linux greater than 1024 cylinders

simsim Member Posts: 40
I have a 20GB hard disk .. divided into 2 partitions the first partition is where windows system resides (10GB) and the other one is also 10GB in which is intended for Linux system. when i install linux on the machine it cannot create a boot partition with the following error : Boot partition too big , it is greater than 1024 cylinders. what should i do ?

Comments

• gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    : I have a 20GB hard disk .. divided into 2 partitions the first partition is where windows system resides (10GB) and the other one is also 10GB in which is intended for Linux system. when i install linux on the machine it cannot create a boot partition with the following error : Boot partition too big , it is greater than 1024 cylinders. what should i do ?
    :

Make a boot floppy.
    Edit /etc/lilo.conf and type lba32 at the top of the file. Save and run /sbin/lilo <--- All this should be done as root.

Older versions of Linux won't work - hope you something new.
  • simsim Member Posts: 40
    : : I have a 20GB hard disk .. divided into 2 partitions the first partition is where windows system resides (10GB) and the other one is also 10GB in which is intended for Linux system. when i install linux on the machine it cannot create a boot partition with the following error : Boot partition too big , it is greater than 1024 cylinders. what should i do ?
    : :
    :
    : Make a boot floppy.
    : Edit /etc/lilo.conf and type lba32 at the top of the file. Save and run /sbin/lilo <--- All this should be done as root.
    :
    : Older versions of Linux won't work - hope you something new.
    :

Thanks a lot....
    Sim :-)
  • paladinpaladin Member Posts: 97
    : : : I have a 20GB hard disk .. divided into 2 partitions the first partition is where windows system resides (10GB) and the other one is also 10GB in which is intended for Linux system. when i install linux on the machine it cannot create a boot partition with the following error : Boot partition too big , it is greater than 1024 cylinders. what should i do ?
    : : :
    No, no.... something is all wrong here. It is giving you that message because you are trying to install LINUX on a bootable partition that is too large. You should have created three partitions, one bootable (<1024 cylinders) for booting up the machine, one swap partition, and the rest for your use. Go back to the partioning window and repartition the available disc space with a smaller bootable partition.
    : : : : I have a 20GB hard disk .. divided into 2 partitions the first partition is where windows system resides (10GB) and the other one is also 10GB in which is intended for Linux system. when i install linux on the machine it cannot create a boot partition with the following error : Boot partition too big , it is greater than 1024 cylinders. what should i do ?
    : : : :
    : No, no.... something is all wrong here. It is giving you that message because you are trying to install LINUX on a bootable partition that is too large. You should have created three partitions, one bootable (<1024 cylinders) for booting up the machine, one swap partition, and the rest for your use. Go back to the partioning window and repartition the available disc space with a smaller bootable partition.
    :
    By the way, what I meant was to take your available 10Gig of partition that you want to use for LINUX, and set asside about 75Mb for the boot partition, about 125Mb for the swap, and the rest is available for your files.
  • garwaingarwain Member Posts: 297
    Palidin has the right answer here (just tested it this morning on a new 20Gig HDD) take your linux partition and delete it creating in it's place 1 small partition which will have the mount point /boot, 1 swap partition (2x your ram is generally a good idea), and then the rest can go into your root partition (mount point /)

: : : I have a 20GB hard disk .. divided into 2 partitions the first partition is where windows system resides (10GB) and the other one is also 10GB in which is intended for Linux system. when i install linux on the machine it cannot create a boot partition with the following error : Boot partition too big , it is greater than 1024 cylinders. what should i do ?
    : : :
    : : Make a boot floppy.
    : : Edit /etc/lilo.conf and type lba32 at the top of the file. Save and run /sbin/lilo <--- All this should be done as root.
    : : Older versions of Linux won't work - hope you something new.
    :
    : Thanks a lot....
    : Sim :-)
    :

: Palidin has the right answer here (just tested it this morning on a new 20Gig HDD) take your linux partition and delete it creating in it's place 1 small partition which will have the mount point /boot, 1 swap partition (2x your ram is generally a good idea), and then the rest can go into your root partition (mount point /)

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Try the lba32 option in lilo.conf, it saves you from the trouble of making a boot partition.

vi lilo.conf
    Add "lba32" at the start of the file(without quotes).
    Run /sbin/lilo

Enjoy.

: : Palidin has the right answer here (just tested it this morning on a new 20Gig HDD) take your linux partition and delete it creating in it's place 1 small partition which will have the mount point /boot, 1 swap partition (2x your ram is generally a good idea), and then the rest can go into your root partition (mount point /)
    :
    : ---------------------------------------------------------------
    : Try the lba32 option in lilo.conf, it saves you from the trouble of making a boot partition.
    :
    : vi lilo.conf
    : Add "lba32" at the start of the file(without quotes).
    : Run /sbin/lilo
    :
    : Enjoy.
    :
    I am curious about this. If you do not have a separate bootable partition on the drive, can you still utilize LILO to dual boot? I guess you can if you have a separate HDD for your other OS. Does that sound right?

Paladin
    : I am curious about this. If you do not have a separate bootable partition on the drive, can you still utilize LILO to dual boot? I guess you can if you have a separate HDD for your other OS. Does that sound right?
    :
    : Paladin
    :

Well if by bootable if you mean a /boot partition then yes. You can also use lilo for umsdos linux's but its not advised.

This is how my partition goes - same harddisk
    C:, D:, E:, F:,
    Linux Swap - /dev/hda7
    Linux - /dev/hda8 "/"

So basically I have no "/boot" partition and my linux is almost after 30gb of the drive.

Hope this answers your question or helps.