Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

About the COM/ActiveX efficiency...

AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Member Posts: 6,519
Hey, everyone!

My question is - how efficient is COM technology when we talk about a LOT of objects in the container. This question came about from my buddy - he works in electronic forms industry.
So, here is the sutuation: the TABLE object was created and this TABLE object is a host to ActiveX controls. Every cell in the TABLE is an ActiveX, so if you have 4 columns by 6 rows - TABLE hosts 24 controls. Now, when some financial application was tested with this TABLE - we needed about 100 columns - at this point the TABLE is so slow that even on PIII-600Mhz we wait about 30 seconds to load the form.

The database code was improved at no avail. The only cause left to blame is that ActiveX has a lot of interfaces which supposed to be queried by the host and all that stress causes slowdown.

I just need an opinion, is it so?
Maybe, COM is not suited to perform fast, but just for the
sake of being able to plug-in the small blocks into huge applications...

Comments

• ColdShineColdShine Member Posts: 597
    : Maybe, COM is not suited to perform fast, but just for the sake of being able to plug-in the small blocks into huge applications...
    You've got it. COM is the base for reusability, but the component to (re)use in this case would not be a single cell, but the entire grid control, which could internally use any way to achieve the same functionality of the control grid.