shell command to run games - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

shell command to run games

LizadoLizado Posts: 4Member
Hi there!

I'm told that I can run all my games by using the shell command, but there is a problem - the game shows an error message! The problem is that it dont change default path that means that when I start my program in C:programsapprun itll default to this folder. When I start a game within my program it thinks that it is started in its own directory and make paths like this dllscustom.dll, which my program will treat as C:programsapprundllscustom.dll when it should treat it with its own path c:gamesgamedllscustom.dll and that means that the program wont be able to find the file.

With other words I need a command that makes me able to change default dir. (in combination with the shell command)

PS: Please turn a blind eye to my awfully grammars Im Danish :)

Comments

• ghost13ghost13 Posts: 250Member
    well use the full path
    shell "c:gamesdll123.dll"
    tell me if it didnt help or if i got your question wrong

The Ghost
    [email protected]
  • LizadoLizado Posts: 4Member
    : well use the full path
    : shell "c:gamesdll123.dll"
    : tell me if it didnt help or if i got your question wrong
    :
    : The Ghost
    : [email protected]
    :

:-/ Its not quite the answer i was hoping for cause c:gamesdll123.dll is just an example - there are 1000 of file paths that's shorted like this one. Beside there is one command that change the path (like [italic]PathTree[/italic] or so...), cause like I said its an impossible task to change all.

I once got the command, but a virus forced me to format my comp. So i will be able to recognize the right command

Btw: PathTree doesn't work just an example :)

[blue]Lizado[/blue] ;-)

• KDivad LeahcimKDivad Leahcim Posts: 3,948Member
    : : well use the full path
    : : shell "c:gamesdll123.dll"
    : : tell me if it didnt help or if i got your question wrong
    : :
    : : The Ghost
    : : [email protected]
    :
    : :-/ It’s not quite the answer i was hoping for cause c:gamesdll123.dll is just an example - there are 1000 of file paths that's shorted like this one. Beside there is one command that change the path (like [italic]PathTree[/italic] or so...), cause like I said its an impossible task to change all.
    :
    : I once got the command, but a virus forced me to format my comp. So i will be able to recognize the right command
    :
    : Btw: PathTree doesn't work just an example :)
    :
    : [blue]Lizado[/blue] ;-)
    :
    :

You can use ChDir to change the path and then shell the program or you can use the API ShellExecute:
    [code]
    Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" Alias "ShellExecuteA" _
    (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal lpOperation As String, ByVal lpFile As String, _
    ByVal lpParameters As String, ByVal lpDirectory As String, ByVal nShowCmd As Long) As Long

ShellExecute 0, "open", "File name here", "", "Folder here", 2
    [/code]
    : : : well use the full path
    : : : shell "c:gamesdll123.dll"
    : : : tell me if it didnt help or if i got your question wrong
    : : :
    : : : The Ghost
    : : : [email protected]
    : : :-/ It’s not quite the answer i was hoping for cause c:gamesdll123.dll is just an example - there are 1000 of file paths that's shorted like this one. Beside there is one command that change the path (like [italic]PathTree[/italic] or so...), cause like I said its an impossible task to change all.
    : : I once got the command, but a virus forced me to format my comp. So i will be able to recognize the right command
    : : Btw: PathTree doesn't work just an example :)
    : : [blue]Lizado[/blue] ;-)
    :
    : [blue]You can use ChDir to change the path and then shell the program[/blue] or you can use the API ShellExecute:
    : [code]
    : Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" Alias "ShellExecuteA" _
    : (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal lpOperation As String, ByVal lpFile As String, _
    : ByVal lpParameters As String, ByVal lpDirectory As String, ByVal nShowCmd As Long) As Long
    :
    : ShellExecute 0, "open", "File name here", "", "Folder here", 2
    : [/code]
    :

Thx my prob. solved! :-)

[blue]Lizado[/blue] ;-)

• jacob_miwjacob_miw Posts: 194Member
    Hvis du synes det er for besvrligt at sprge p engelsk kan du jo bare sprge p dansk :)

[b]Translation[/b]
    If you think it's too complicated to ask in English, just ask in danish :)

LOL

jacob[green]_[/green]miw
    ----------
    [italic]ICQ# 56564298[/italic]

: Hvis du synes det er for besvrligt at sprge p engelsk kan du jo bare sprge p dansk :)
    :
    : [b]Translation[/b]
    : If you think it's too complicated to ask in English, just ask in danish :)
    :
    : LOL
    :
    : jacob[green]_[/green]miw
    : ----------
    : [italic]ICQ# 56564298[/italic]
    :
    :

I prefer Hick.
  • jacob_miwjacob_miw Posts: 194Member
    : : Hvis du synes det er for besvrligt at sprge p engelsk kan du jo bare sprge p dansk :)
    : : [b]Translation[/b]
    : : If you think it's too complicated to ask in English, just ask in danish :)
    : : LOL
    : : jacob[green]_[/green]miw
    : : ----------
    : : [italic]ICQ# 56564298[/italic]
    :
    : I prefer Hick.
    :

Yep sure. Me too. Definetely!!

eeh. BTW, what does Hick. mean?

jacob[green]_[/green]miw
    ----------
    [italic]ICQ# 56564298[/italic]

: : : Hvis du synes det er for besvrligt at sprge p engelsk kan du jo bare sprge p dansk :)
    : : : [b]Translation[/b]
    : : : If you think it's too complicated to ask in English, just ask in danish :)
    : : : LOL
    : : : jacob[green]_[/green]miw
    : : : ----------
    : : : [italic]ICQ# 56564298[/italic]
    : : I prefer Hick.
    :
    : Yep sure. Me too. Definetely!!
    :
    : eeh. BTW, what does Hick. mean?
    :
    : jacob[green]_[/green]miw
    : ----------
    : [italic]ICQ# 56564298[/italic]
    :
    :

Weelp, seein' as how you'ins don' rightly unnerstan' wot I means when I sez "Hick", I s'pose I oart to 'splain it to ya. Eet's real simple-like, ya see. It's just bee-in us country folk's way of talkin', ya hear?

Note: Use of xeml (Expanded Emotional Markup Language) is licensed to the public domain for use without restriction by JWCS.Net Limited and KDLTech.

Have fun!

KDL
    : : : : Hvis du synes det er for besvrligt at sprge p engelsk kan du jo bare sprge p dansk :)
    : : : :
    : : : : [b]Translation[/b]
    : : : : If you think it's too complicated to ask in English, just ask in danish :)
    : : : : LOL
    : : : : jacob[green]_[/green]miw
    : : : : ----------
    : : : : [italic]ICQ# 56564298[/italic]
    : : : I prefer Hick.
    : : Yep sure. Me too. Definetely!!
    : : eeh. BTW, what does Hick. mean?
    : : jacob[green]_[/green]miw
    : : ----------
    : : [italic]ICQ# 56564298[/italic]
    :
    : Weelp, seein' as how you'ins don' rightly unnerstan' wot I means when I sez "Hick", I s'pose I oart to 'splain it to ya. Eet's real simple-like, ya see. It's just bee-in us country folk's way of talkin', ya hear?
    :
    : Note: Use of xeml (Expanded Emotional Markup Language) is licensed to the public domain for use without restriction by JWCS.Net Limited and KDLTech.
    :
    : Have fun!
    :
    : KDL
    :

Heh :) I think it would be rather difficult to understand Danish - at least for some people!

Har jeg ikke ret i det? Tror nppe de forstr hvad der str her :-)

[blue]Lizado[/blue] ;-)

: Heh :) I think it would be rather difficult to understand Danish - at least for some people!
    :
    : Har jeg ikke ret i det? Tror nppe de forstr hvad der str her :-)
    :
    :
    : [blue]Lizado[/blue] ;-)
    :
    :

That's why I prefer hick. I understand it!