Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Installing Linux

Mike BMike B Member Posts: 136
I'm new to Linux. I downloaded the two .iso files from their (extremely slow) servers, and burt each to a CD-R. According to the RedHat website, I just need to shove the CD into the drive and turn on the computer. Well, I did, and it said
"No operating system found"

Well, then I wrote boot.img to a floppy (after having to dl special software to write it), and put that in the A: drive.

I got to what I think is the Linux boot screen, and I hit [Enter] to install Linux. Well, whaddya know, it doesn't work!

It says:
Loading initrd.img...........
Loading vmlinuz.....Boot Failed

Redhat.com has nothing on the topic. And, no one I know who has Linux knows what went wrong.

Well, can you help?

----

Comments

• garwaingarwain Member Posts: 297
    Check in your BIOS and set your 1st boot device to your CDROM, then try booting your machine with the CD in the drive.

If that doesn't help then I'd say there is something wrong with your CD.

Personally I've found that it's easier to just buy a copy of the CD's from www.cheapbytes.com . They usually arrive in a couple days and only cost a couple dollars for the cd's and shipping.

I hope this helps

: I'm new to Linux. I downloaded the two .iso files from their (extremely slow) servers, and burt each to a CD-R. According to the RedHat website, I just need to shove the CD into the drive and turn on the computer. Well, I did, and it said
    : "No operating system found"
    :
    : Well, then I wrote boot.img to a floppy (after having to dl special software to write it), and put that in the A: drive.
    :
    : I got to what I think is the Linux boot screen, and I hit [Enter] to install Linux. Well, whaddya know, it doesn't work!
    :
    : It says:
    : Loading initrd.img...........
    : Loading vmlinuz.....Boot Failed
    :
    : Redhat.com has nothing on the topic. And, no one I know who has Linux knows what went wrong.
    :
    : Well, can you help?
    : ----
    :

• rehan2k7rehan2k7 Member Posts: 98
    hi

its not the problem with the detection its the files missing from iso imaages from there ftp server i persume you are using i386 (intel or amd) but the default installation for is for i686 which is bit annoying but then again the best place to download is iso's are linuxiso.org they have prepared tested iso images of the specific system's.

if have not stated what version it is

if 7.1 then there is no hope

but if it is 7.2 redhat have patch on there site which you need to burn it along with or store in the same cd as the kernel and boot loader

or you can use expert mode

and run anaconda depending where is been saved in CD

most likely it would be in cd> tarz> anaconda-x-x.tar.gz and you have to run it in from cd by unzipping in to floppy.

i hope this helps

syed.

: Check in your BIOS and set your 1st boot device to your CDROM, then try booting your machine with the CD in the drive.
    :
    : If that doesn't help then I'd say there is something wrong with your CD.
    :
    : Personally I've found that it's easier to just buy a copy of the CD's from www.cheapbytes.com . They usually arrive in a couple days and only cost a couple dollars for the cd's and shipping.
    :
    : I hope this helps
    :
    : : I'm new to Linux. I downloaded the two .iso files from their (extremely slow) servers, and burt each to a CD-R. According to the RedHat website, I just need to shove the CD into the drive and turn on the computer. Well, I did, and it said
    : : "No operating system found"
    : :
    : : Well, then I wrote boot.img to a floppy (after having to dl special software to write it), and put that in the A: drive.
    : : I got to what I think is the Linux boot screen, and I hit [Enter] to install Linux. Well, whaddya know, it doesn't work!
    : : It says:
    : : Loading initrd.img...........
    : : Loading vmlinuz.....Boot Failed
    : : Redhat.com has nothing on the topic. And, no one I know who has Linux knows what went wrong.
    : : Well, can you help?
    : : ----
    :
    :

• Mike BMike B Member Posts: 136
    :
    : but if it is 7.2 redhat have patch on there site which you need to burn it along with or store in the same cd as the kernel and boot loader

[blue]Well, yes I've 7.2...and all couple hundred pages of manuals[/blue]

:
    : or you can use expert mode
    :
    : and run anaconda depending where is been saved in CD

[blue]I know what you mean by exit mode, but what's Anaconda?

Uh...now I've another problem...Just a tiny one...HA! I get to the text based installation screen, I choose my language, English, I choose my keyboard, US, I chose to install from the CD-ROM...hit OK....(Drum roll)....And I get an error, actually two (in seperate...what would best be called...windows):
    [/blue]
    [code]
    mount error: no medium found

I could not mount a CD to the device: /dev/hdd
    [/code]

[blue]What do I do to 'mount' the drive?[/blue]
    ----

• gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    I know what you mean by exit mode, but what's Anaconda?

[blue]
    Anaconda, the snake ?? Don't remember what that is - some kind of daemon or something probably(its just a program).
    [/blue]

: Uh...now I've another problem...Just a tiny one...HA! I get to the text based installation screen, I choose my language, English, I choose my keyboard, US, I chose to install from the CD-ROM...hit OK....(Drum roll)....And I get an error, actually two (in seperate...what would best be called...windows):

[blue]
    I am not sure but if you have the ability of mounting the cd yourself you could try :-
    [code]
    mount /dev/hdc /cdrom
    or
    mount /dev/hdd /cdrom
    [/code]

You could also try autoboot.exe if it exists. This might help to detect the cd correctly. Sometimes even a warm reboot from windows of the system before attempting to install helps. Well I don't guruantee that any of these options will work but you can hope it might. Also you could try a different CD, maybe this CD has gone bad.

Well I saw your previous post - I have seen this on redhat CD's. I feel this is a problem with the iso on the cd. You could try installing from a loopback device or something or if redhat supports of harddisk(maybe ftp if you approve of it ? I wouldn't with my 56k connection). The choice is yours :-).
    [/blue]

: I am not sure but if you have the ability of mounting the cd yourself you could try :-
    : [code]
    : mount /dev/hdc /cdrom
    : or
    : mount /dev/hdd /cdrom
    : [/code]
    :
    :
    : You could also try autoboot.exe if it exists. This might help to detect the cd correctly. Sometimes even a warm reboot from windows of the system before attempting to install helps. Well I don't guruantee that any of these options will work but you can hope it might. Also you could try a different CD, maybe this CD has gone bad.
    :
    : Well I saw your previous post - I have seen this on redhat CD's. I feel this is a problem with the iso on the cd. You could try installing from a loopback device or something or if redhat supports of harddisk(maybe ftp if you approve of it ? I wouldn't with my 56k connection). The choice is yours :-).
    : [blue]

Well, I've posted my problems on multiple pages, conversed with many people and no one seems to be able to help...

Anytime I try the mount command, it says:
    [code]
    Could not find kernel image: mount
    [/code]

I've tried reconfiguring the whole computer-All the IDEs came out, all the jumpers, and I redid one HD and the CDROM. Well, take a guess...doesn't work...I made the HD the IDE 0 Master, and the CDROM the IDE 0 slave. I tried making the HD the IDE 0 Master, and the CDROM the IDE 1 master.

I'm gonna mount this friggin computer soon...on a catapult...[/blue]
    ----

• jeffpostjeffpost Member Posts: 316
    : [blue]
    : I'm gonna mount this friggin computer soon...on a catapult...[/blue]
    :
    :
    *Chuckle* I know the feeling. I started with Slackware when it was distributed on floppies. Maybe you should consider investing in the RH CDs at your local Best Buy or wherever.

I had no problem installing RH 7.2 from their shrinkwrap CDs, and I've found it to be the most stable, user friendly distro I've had so far. Very impressed with it.

: : [blue]
    : : I'm gonna mount this friggin computer soon...on a catapult...[/blue]
    : : ----
    : *Chuckle* I know the feeling. I started with Slackware when it was distributed on floppies. Maybe you should consider investing in the RH CDs at your local Best Buy or wherever.
    :
    : I had no problem installing RH 7.2 from their shrinkwrap CDs, and I've found it to be the most stable, user friendly distro I've had so far. Very impressed with it.
    :
    :

Yeah, my dad bought the boxed set today...I called him up and said, "Just buy the $50 box," and I hung up...

----

:
    : Yeah, my dad bought the boxed set today...I called him up and said, "Just buy the $50 box," and I hung up...
    :

Am I never released from torture?!?!?

I got the boxed set (kudos to buy.com managing to get it here in less than 24 hrs for $5 shipping). I installed it. Everything looks like spiffed up Windows. EXCEPT, none of the windows redraw properly!!! Everything turns to random colored pixels when you move the form, or when you maximize it! It's not the monitor; I tried another one. I can't find the settings to change the video info. And, the manual that I have only covers text commands! HELP ME!!!
    ----

• jeffpostjeffpost Member Posts: 316
    : Am I never released from torture?!?!?
    :
    : I got the boxed set (kudos to buy.com managing to get it here in less than 24 hrs for $5 shipping). I installed it. Everything looks like spiffed up Windows. EXCEPT, none of the windows redraw properly!!! Everything turns to random colored pixels when you move the form, or when you maximize it! It's not the monitor; I tried another one. I can't find the settings to change the video info. And, the manual that I have only covers text commands! HELP ME!!!
    :

Yikes! Don't give up yet. Video configuration is one of the most difficult aspects of Linux (but is now easier to do for Linux than it is for Windoze). Did you install Gnome or KDE? Which window manager?

Log in as root and try reconfiguring X11. And I recommend using KDE over Gnome.

I'm done!!!

YAHOO!

I installed KDE AND GNOME, and I still have 13GB left over for extra stuff. I put in a different video card, and lo and behold, it finds it and configures it and everything! Perfect...

No, wait...another problem...It won't see my Ethernet card (I think the card is just too old...I'll try a new one...)
    ----