can someone do this, please? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

can someone do this, please?

DantyDanty Posts: 322Member
Hi, I have Dell 486DX, and I am trying to install FreeBSD on it. However, I cannot boot from CD. My CD-ROM is Creative CR-563-B with sound card CT2290. My BIOS does not have the option for booting from CD. However, I can boot from floppy drive A. What I need is a program that I will write to the BootSector of drive A, and I will boot from A:, then this program should redirect the boot or start reading data from the CD in the CD-ROM. I don't know assembly language. Can some one write this code for me, please? Or any other help with this idea would be great.

Thanks in advance,
Danty

Comments

• protektorprotektor Posts: 116Member
    heh, we'd have to make a cd-rom driver for that.
    and if someone can do that, I wanna know too. I've been looking for that kind of information for quite a while now
  • DantyDanty Posts: 322Member
    : heh, we'd have to make a cd-rom driver for that.
    : and if someone can do that, I wanna know too. I've been looking for that kind of information for quite a while now
    :

My CD-ROM uses MSCDEX.EXE and SBCD.SYS, though, after DOS loads. I believe we cannot use these above files without DOS. Anyway, you mentioned that you've been looking into this stuff, have you found any links or resources that are useful, if so I would like to know about it. Thanks

Danty,
    [email protected]
  • DariusDarius Posts: 1,666Member
    : Hi, I have Dell 486DX, and I am trying to install FreeBSD on it. However, I cannot boot from CD. My CD-ROM is Creative CR-563-B with sound card CT2290. My BIOS does not have the option for booting from CD. However, I can boot from floppy drive A. What I need is a program that I will write to the BootSector of drive A, and I will boot from A:, then this program should redirect the boot or start reading data from the CD in the CD-ROM. I don't know assembly language. Can some one write this code for me, please? Or any other help with this idea would be great.
    :
    : Thanks in advance,
    : Danty
    :
    :

I can't imagine that FreeBSD doesn't have a way to start booting from a disk, and finish from the CD, or to start the installation from DOS. Look up information from the relevant sites or in any documentation you may have.

"There's no such thing as Hell, but you can make it if you try".
    -Prove It, Bad Religion

• blipblip Posts: 756Member
    All I know how to do is make the CD-ROM drive lock, unlock, eject, and spindown and it doesn't even work on all models! There needs to be some serious standardization here! Maybe you could *politely* ask the manufacturer for the low-level documents and even pay them if you're willing to. But you might as well just download one of the FreeBSD things online.
  • DantyDanty Posts: 322Member
    Thanks guys. I think I have to get a new computer with new BIOS and every thing.

(FreeBSD boots from A:, CD, DVD.. But my CD-ROM works only after the drivers for it are loaded into memory after DOS starts. So, it does not see my CD-ROM.)

• protektorprotektor Posts: 116Member
    : Thanks guys. I think I have to get a new computer with new BIOS and every thing.
    :
    : (FreeBSD boots from A:, CD, DVD.. But my CD-ROM works only after the drivers for it are loaded into memory after DOS starts. So, it does not see my CD-ROM.)
    :
    :

Will you buy a new computer for that?? thats really not the best way to solve your problem, unless you work for the governement....

• jmaqjmaq Posts: 1Member
    : Hi, I have Dell 486DX, and I am trying to install FreeBSD on it. However, I cannot boot from CD. My CD-ROM is Creative CR-563-B with sound card CT2290. My BIOS does not have the option for booting from CD. However, I can boot from floppy drive A. What I need is a program that I will write to the BootSector of drive A, and I will boot from A:, then this program should redirect the boot or start reading data from the CD in the CD-ROM. I don't know assembly language. Can some one write this code for me, please? Or any other help with this idea would be great.
    :
    :
    :

I have installed FreeBSD on an old computer, but it was a while ago.
    There should be a catalog called 'floppies' or something like that.
    In that catalog there are some floppy-images, I think they are named 'kern.flp' and are 1.4 MB in size.
    And in tools-catalog there are a program called fdimage.exe.
    Copy fdimage.exe and the *.flp-files to a catalog.
    Open a DOS-window and 'cd' to that catalog u just created.
    Type fdimage kern.flp A:
    I think you can boot yore machine from that floppy,
    and the installation can be started from that disk .....
    or try some other floppy-image

• ASHLEY4ASHLEY4 Posts: 254Member
    :
    :
    :

You can get a floppy to boot from a freebsd cd and how to do the above from here:
    http://www.bootdisk.com

\|///
    (@@)
    ASHLEY4.