Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

saving and restoring MBR

uniqueunique Member Posts: 2
I have installed Mandrake 8 to my computer and now i have this boot loader?, menu etc. installed on my MBR (as far as i know). as i dont use Linux often i dont want to see that menu everytime i open my computer. So is there a way to save and restore the MBR so that i put it there only when i need?

Comments

• garwaingarwain Member Posts: 297
    : I have installed Mandrake 8 to my computer and now i have this boot loader?, menu etc. installed on my MBR (as far as i know). as i dont use Linux often i dont want to see that menu everytime i open my computer. So is there a way to save and restore the MBR so that i put it there only when i need?
    :

The only method I can think of offhand would be to :

1) create a bootdisk with mandrake. Sorry I can't provide instructions for this. I'm at work right now with only window$ machines available, but if you have any hardcopy docs they should tell you how otherwise through Xwin it should be easy if you look around a little.

2)kill the bootloader with fdisk /mbr

The boot disk will be a LOT slower for booting into mandrake but it is the only method I can think of that would remove the boot loader and still allow you to get into mandrake.

Hope this helps.
    Ben